Local Disc Golf Tournament Info

Moderator: ADGO BOD

Lost in the Woods 2013 -- October 12 @ East Roswell Park

Postby 12StonesScott » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:55 pm

PDGA Sanctioned C-Tier Disc Golf Tournament

TD: Scott Walker
Asst. TD: Ryan Watson

Online registration at http://www.discgolfscene.com/tournament ... 3/register

Ace fund and hole sponsorships also available online.

Men's Pro divisions: $50
Men's Advanced divisions: $40
Men's Intermediate and Rec divisions: $30

Women's Pro divisions: $30
Women's Am divisions: $25

Juniors (<19) divisions: $20

Hole sponsorships: $25
(Thanks to Wade Selph for being the first hole sponsor!)

As we did last year, player's packs will be minimal (in-kind/merchandise sponsorships for player's pack items welcomed) in order to maximize payout.

Trophy discs for all divisions with at least 3 players registered by October 4.

Open and Advanced: Black tees both rounds
Intermediate, Rec, Women's and Juniors' divisions: Blue both rounds. (NOTE CHANGE FROM EARLIER INFO)

Hole 4 will be temp hole -- New long tee pad for Open/Adv (on walking path behind existing concrete pad), other divisions from existing concrete pad, both to new pin location in woods on right of fairway across from where trailers were. Mando to left of tree in front of long tee (marked with paint) to prevent throwing over walking path/Fouts Rd.

Questions welcome here or e-mail litw@roswelldiscgolf.org

More to come . . .
Last edited by 12StonesScott on Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
12StonesScott
Champion Plastic

Re: Lost in the Woods 2013 -- October 12 @ East Roswell Park

Postby Bootsie » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:15 pm

Who's gonna be assistant to the assistants assistant?
Bootsie
Pro Plastic

Postby 12StonesScott » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:39 pm

Bootsie wrote:Who's gonna be assistant to the assistants assistant?

Gracie :D
12StonesScott
Champion Plastic

Postby VERMIN » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:53 am

What's going on with this event? Is this one still on?

Will we be able to play the "normal" layout(s) since there was some construction on 3,4,5, and 6?
Speakin' the vernacular of the peasantry. Poor little kid, I hope she gets home all right....Professor Marvel

Vern Williams - ADGO #120 - PDGA #27359
VERMIN
Star Plastic

Postby Imran » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:14 pm

I am the TD's assistant's, assistant's, assistant. But, any questions should be directed to my assistant. :lol:
damn..., that is one fine piece of plastic.
Imran

Postby 12StonesScott » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:01 pm

VERMIN wrote:What's going on with this event? Is this one still on?

Will we be able to play the "normal" layout(s) since there was some construction on 3,4,5, and 6?

Was really hoping that the answer would be that we'd play the "normal" layout at least for this one more event before the library construction required moving the basket on 4. Unfortunately, that happened, with no advance notice, this morning. So Hole 4 will be a temp hole. Details being worked out. See my other post in this thread for more info.
12StonesScott
Champion Plastic

Postby 12StonesScott » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:13 pm

Hole 4 will be a temporary hole for Lost in the Woods. Unfortunately, with no advance notice, the parks department had to move the basket on Hole 4 this morning to prevent it from being damaged by falling trees during the preliminary site work for the library construction. There is no chance that it will ever be back in the previous position.

I'm still evaluating the options for Hole 4 for LITW; the remaining debris from the trailer removal makes our preferred permanent replacement location near the shed unworkable. The parks department cleared a hole in the brush/bushes behind the existing concrete pad on 4 today to allow for a temporary tee position back on/near the gravel walking path. That will likely be the long tee location. The basket will probably be either in an area close to the red tee, probably slightly closer to the edge of the dropoff, or in another newly-cleared area in the woods on the right of the fairway, opposite where the trailers used to be. Neither is anywhere near as long as Hole 4 has been in the past. Neither is really preferable as a long-term solution. But for safety/speed of play concerns I cannot realistically put a temp basket any farther up in the area where the trailers were. I looked at some other options for more significant modifications to both 4 and 5, including a longer hole 5 playing from a tee area in the sewer line cut, but because of the active ongoing construction and because of the encroachment onto the black tee for 6, that wasn't possible in the short term.

I will be out doing course prep work tomorrow and will evaluate the options, probably play each to test them out, etc., and will make a final call by end of day tomorrow on how it will play for Lost in the Woods.

If anyone who has already registered for Lost in the Woods wants to withdraw as a result, I understand -- please contact me at litw@roswelldiscgolf.org and I will arrange a refund of your entry fee. I will be e-mailing all registered players for whom I have contact info this weekend with this information as well.
12StonesScott
Champion Plastic

Postby VERMIN » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:58 pm

Thanks Scott...

So get signed up early everyone and make it easier on the TD - jus sayin'
Speakin' the vernacular of the peasantry. Poor little kid, I hope she gets home all right....Professor Marvel

VERMIN
Star Plastic

Postby 12StonesScott » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:57 pm

We have a temporary pin position for hole 4 for LITW marked in the new clearing in the woods to the right across from where the trailers were. The position is marked with a stake with orange fluorescent tape -- to help with visibility from the tee area there's also orange tape higher up on a tree trunk right behind the pin position. Temporary long tee position is marked with paint on the corners back on the walking path, throwing through a new clearing in the brush behind the existing concrete pad. For LITW, Open/Adv/Int will play from that longer position (about 327 ft from pin position), while other divisions will play from concrete pad (approx. 260 ft). Will try to have a temp basket in place for doubles Monday night so we can try it out.

There's a chance that the parks guys can get the basket from 4 in place in this position sometime this week. If not, we'll have a quality portable in place.

Stay tuned . . .
12StonesScott
Champion Plastic

Postby merobins » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:04 pm

What time is doubles tonight?
merobins
Barney

Postby mullethead326 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:07 pm

No doubt you hate hearing this, but will you accept day-of signups?
mullethead326
DX Plastic

Postby 12StonesScott » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:43 am

mullethead326 wrote:No doubt you hate hearing this, but will you accept day-of signups?

Assuming we don't have a full field by the time online registration ends Friday night, then yes we will take day-of signups. I should have the ability to accept credit cards as well as cash (no checks) for payment.

I'm not going to run a wait list, however. I'll provide updates on the total number of entries up to Friday night, and day-of will be on a first-come, first-served basis Saturday morning. You can gauge by the number of remaining slots how early you think you need to get there; Officially, we'll be starting sign-in at 8, but there'll likely be some of us around doing last minute prep as soon as it's light, around 7:15.
12StonesScott
Champion Plastic

Tournament Schedule

Postby 12StonesScott » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:47 pm

Saturday, October 12, 2013
8:00am
- 8:45am Sign-in & on-site registration (if available)
9:15am Player's Meeting
9:30am First round start
12:30pm (Approximate) Lunch (until 1 hour after last card from first round is turned in)
1:30pm (Approximate) Get second round starting hole assignments 1 hour after last card from first round is handed in
1:45pm (Approximate) Second round start 1 hour 15 minutes after last card from first round is handed in
4:45pm (Approximate) Second round finishes; ring of fire & ace fund throwoff on Hole 2 (if necessary)
5:00pm (Approximate) Awards & wrapup
12StonesScott
Champion Plastic

Postby grease » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:11 am

Help Scott out and play his action. He's a great guy and huge supporter of local disc golf.
Fart, it's never not funny!
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby craigd » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:40 pm

I'll be happy to collect and record tags for all you ADGO bag taggers playing LITW tomorrow. I'll put a box and sign-up sheet at check in.
Craig Dickerson
PDGA# 38061
ADGO# 258
craigd
Pro Plastic

Postby VERMIN » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:12 pm

craigd wrote:I'll be happy to collect and record tags for all you ADGO bag taggers playing LITW tomorrow. I'll put a box and sign-up sheet at check in.

Thanks Craig - I plan on taking Dollar's tag...He has had the uno tag a little too long.

VERMIN
Star Plastic

Postby craigd » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:36 pm

VERMIN wrote:
craigd wrote:I'll be happy to collect and record tags for all you ADGO bag taggers playing LITW tomorrow. I'll put a box and sign-up sheet at check in.

Thanks Craig - I plan on taking Dollar's tag...He has had the uno tag a little too long.

I was gunning for Dollars #1 tag myself. He barely edged me out by 31 strokes :shock:

But anyway, the tourney was awesome! Thanks Scott for the quality event! As usual Lost in the Woods was a success. Thanks to all the guys who ran the show (Roswell disc gold club). Also thanks Ryan for running the crazy side action!
Craig Dickerson
PDGA# 38061
ADGO# 258
craigd
Pro Plastic

Results are up . . .

Postby 12StonesScott » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:05 am

at http://www.pdga.com/tournament_results/107188

There may be typos, but Dollar's 45 :shock: in the first round isn't one of them. Albeit against a layout with one changed hole, that's a new course tournament record . . . by 3 strokes (Nate Doss had a 48 in the Atlanta Open a few years ago). He came back down to earth a bit in the second round, with a 48 that would still have tied the prior course record. He very nearly lapped the field, winning by 14 strokes over Joey Lutz and Dustin Perry, who tied for second at 107. The entire Open field finished closer to second place (13 strokes from second to last) than the two in second did to Dollar.

Ryan Harris took home a souvenir (trophy disc) in his first tournament winning Advanced with a 113. Andrew Rudick took Intermediate, and Austin Clark won Rec. Carlos Rodriguez took Advanced Masters and Vern Williams won Advanced Grandmasters. Eight-year-old Joel Robinson had the Juniors field to himself but put up scores that would have placed him ahead of several others in Rec.

Thanks to everyone who helped make this year's LITW a success: assistant TD Ryan Watson, Craig Nettleship, Lance Todd and Craig Dickerson for help during signin and last minute prep (and to Craig for cooking the TD one of the biggest tastiest burgers I've ever had between rounds), Brett Porter, Caitlin Gray (and Graysie) and Imran Khan for help with scoring between rounds, Dave Dittmar and Cody Britain of Disc Stalker for the trophy discs, and Wes Campbell for handling am payout and loan of the temporary basket for Hole 4. Special thanks to Mark Holder and Joel St. Vrain from the Roswell Recreation and Parks Department for jumping into action to coordinate the brush clearing, etc. for the new Hole 4 layout. Thanks to Ari Walker for the tournament graphic design, and to my wife and kids for putting up with all the time spent on tournament prep the last few weeks and for making the cash run to ensure enough cash in the right denominations to make pro payout easy to distribute.

No doubt I'm overlooking some folks, but I've fallen asleep at the keyboard several times since I started working on this post, so forgive me for now and I'll make sure to acknowledge you later as soon as I remember or you remind me :wink:

Please let me know right away if you see anything wrong or questionable on the scores.
12StonesScott
Champion Plastic

Postby VERMIN » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:44 pm

Thanks Scott and crew for a great day. Next time please get more ladies tennis players to come out for the day . That was the only thing that was lacking :D

VERMIN
Star Plastic

Postby 12StonesScott » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:33 pm

VERMIN wrote:Thanks Scott and crew for a great day. Next time please get more ladies tennis players to come out for the day . That was the only thing that was lacking :D

Vern, if I had any control whatever over what ladies tennis players do or don't do, would I be spending my weekends doing course cleanup and running tournaments? :wink:
12StonesScott
Champion Plastic

Return to Disc Golf Tournaments