Perkday Workdays, Summer 2013

Fulton County - Atlanta, Ga

Moderator: ADGO BOD

Perkday Workdays, Summer 2013

Postby mullethead326 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:59 pm

As you may have seen on http://perkersondiscgolf.com/ or in person, the course is coming along, and the contract work to put in most of the new teepads is scheduled for early next month. However, most of the folks who've really laid the foundation for the course are busy with other things, and aren't able to put in the time they'd like, and that the course needs. So if you have some time during the week--morning, evening, whenever, it would be great if you could come out and spend a couple hours to help improve the course.

Right now, I have a standing worktime of 10:00 on Wednesdays. For the foreseeable future, we'll be putting in some new pin locations. You're welcome to join at that time. We have some tools, but another wheelbarrow for concrete mixing, post-hole diggers, and a level would be very helpful. If that doesn't work for you, please let me know; I'd be glad to come down there at whatever time works for you.

Current projects:
-You've probably seen the stone steps that have gone in around the course. There will be a couple more similar projects to finish up to improve the course flow and erosion control.
-Some parts of the course don't drain that well, so we'll be working on those.
-New pin locations need to be laid, as well as clearing parts of the fairways to get to them.

Things you can do while you're playing:
-Bring a grocery bag or two and pick up trash. Most of the fairways are pretty clear, but bottles and chip bags and stuff keep popping up. This takes maybe five minutes during a round, but really helps the aesthetics of the course.
-Bring pair of loppers or hand shears and cut back privet shoots and stuff. In the woods, some stumps were too cumbersome to remove, and they've continued to produced shoots. Cutting those back to the stump again can buy us some time until we can get the stumps out completely (If it's on the fairway and smaller than your thumb, consider it fair game).

Please help us out, the course needs some more love.
mullethead326
DX Plastic

Re: Perkday Workdays, Summer 2013

Postby mrpbody33 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:12 am

I mainly can only get out there on the weekends. :/
Barry "Mr. P'body" Arnson
PDGA# 28128
ADGO# 133
http://discgolfatlanta.com/
mrpbody33

Postby jritger » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:31 pm

Barry, Greg said Seigel is talking about weekend workdays soon. I can't right now with baby coming soon and trying to finish the final pin locations so we can move fast on the signs after the pads go in.

If you ever have time to take your weed wacker out, it's badly needed
jritger

Postby mrpbody33 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:22 am

Yeah I knocked down some of the stuff on 5, 7 and 9 a couple weeks back. Definitely need to dig up some of stuff growing back on hole 16 as well.
Barry "Mr. P'body" Arnson
PDGA# 28128
ADGO# 133
http://discgolfatlanta.com/
mrpbody33

Postby jritger » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:35 pm

We're having a BIG workday this Friday and need help leading it from discers familiar with the course. We'll have 50-100 corporate volunteers and tools provided; they are even donating $450 in materials! The workday is from 9am-12pm, arrive by 8:45am if you are interested in helping lead it. We will be splitting the force up into several smaller groups. Projects include erosion control (hole 8), removing invasives left prone by the sheep herd and opening up hole 5. The more that show, the more we get done, so come on out!
jritger

Return to Perkerson Park