2013 USDGC Qualifying info PDGA Sanctioned MAY 11th

Local Disc Golf Tournament Info

Moderator: ADGO BOD

Postby keith johnson » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:47 pm

Posted in Featured Articles on the USDGC page today FEB 26th. - For GA specific info please read the info in RED below the USDGC article...Thanks and good luck to all that are going to try and represent Georgia at the USDGC!
Keith

2013 USDGC Qualifying

Proving to be a winning combination in 2012, the half Open Flight, half Performance Flight format returns for the 2013 United States Disc Golf Championship at Winthrop University. The dates for this year’s 15th anniversary are October 2-5, 2013 and planning is already well underway.

“What we did format-wise in 2012 is what we plan to do for the foreseeable future,” said Event Director Jonathan Poole, adding that the smaller field was more manageable and “took us back to a more intimate setting like it used to be.”

The dual format also addresses the two fundamental questions of disc golf competition, says USDGC Chairman Harold Duvall. “How did my score compare to others? And, how did I perform? I am not sure which one is more important. The dual format tries to answer both of these important questions for the players,” said Duvall.

The field will be divided into two flights of 72 players with the Open Flight competing using their raw scores, while the Performance Flight will attempt to best their projected scores, determined by Disc Golf United’s Performance Scoring system.

Open Flight qualifying was tough in 2012 and tightens even more this year. Exemptions have been reduced from the top 20 finishers at the previous USDGC, to only the top 10. However, chances still abound. Three more regional qualifying events have been added.

The grand total includes all eight National Tour events, the PDGA Professional World Championships, the Copenhagen Open, the European Open, and the Southern National Pro Championship. The top five from each of those events earn invitations, excluding exempt players or those who have already qualified. Players have 30 days to register following the event at which they qualified. Exempt players must register by August 31st.

After a two-year absence, 9-time USDGC competitor Jay “Yeti” Reading of Texas knows the key to earning one of the few spots among today’s top talent:
“Give yourself as many opportunities as you can,” said Reading, who plans on hitting several regional qualifiers full speed now that the torn cartilage in his right knee has healed – an injury that plagued him last year.

Qualifying for the Performance Flight will again be determined by PDGA State and Country Coordinators. Exemptions to this flight include the top 10 finishers from last year’s Performance Flight and the tournament directors of the 2013 regional qualifying events.

Contact your PDGA coordinator to learn more about your local spot, available until Aug. 31st. Coordinators are encouraged to pick a local event best suited to determining their state’s representative. DGU’s Performance Scoring is also available for tournament use.
The five spots from Monday Qualifying will be reserved for the Open Flight.

The 2013 USDGC commemorates now 15 years of innovation in tournament play, while building an iconic and sustainable event says Poole. Reaching the fifteenth USDGC is significant to Poole and USDGC staff, but that achievement won’t keep them from looking to the future. “We always look forward to the next one whichever year it is. For us it has always been about learning from past experience and getting the next one right,” said Poole.

This year when players from all over make their way to Rock Hill, S.C., they will once again find some of disc golf’s greatest competition that also drives them to discover the best in themselves. Now more than ever, the Championship shows its relevance, USDGC officials say.

Those behind the tournament also say it still ranks as one of disc golf’s purest tests, where only the very best rise to the top. Since the PDGA established a World Ranking system at the end of 2005, only three US Champions were ranked outside of the top two at the time of the USDGC, according to PDGA Ratings Chair Chuck Kennedy.

2013 will be no different as the world’s best disc golfers will battle for their invitation to one of the game’s most significant events.

Look to the 2013 Qualifying Procedures for further detail here:
http://www.usdgc.com/wp-content/uploads ... 1.4.13.pdf

As was done in 2012 there will be a performance based scoring system used for the GA State spot.
The change this year will be you must either be a current PDGA member or have been a PDGA member, so that you will have a rating.
Keep in mind you must have at LEAST a 875 rating AND 12 rated rounds between JAN 1st, 2013 and the last ratings update before the USDGC (historically sometime in mid to late SEPT).
The ONLY way to get into the OPEN flight is through a USDGC Qualifier or the 5 spots MON Qualifier - so please do not ask me how to change the GA state spot to the OPEN field as it can NOT happen.

More info on the GA state Event will be posted in the near future.

Keith Johnson
PDGA State Coordinator for Georgia
Father of Future World Champion Lorelei Johnson #13697
keith johnson

Postby keith johnson » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:53 pm

Check-in at North Georgia Canopy Tours will be between 8:00-9:30 am SHARP! There will be NO exceptions to this!

First round at NGCT will begin at approximately 10:00 AM. All scores will be based on Performance Scoring used at the USDGC as explained below in red.
After a short lunch there will be tee times for the top 24 scores with the best scores teeing off last.
This years chance to play in the USDGC is going to be done a little differently than in the past.

This will be PDGA C-Tier sanctioned 2 round Event with a low entry fee of $25 (add $10 if you are not a current PDGA member by MAY 6th).

$15 of each entry will go towards the overall winners ENTRY to the USDGC and the remaining money from the $15 per entry (if any) will be given to the winner for their expenses before the USDGC. $10 of each entry will go towards the prize fund with additional prizes to be awarded to the Performance edition winners from each round.

Anyone is welcome to play but please keep in mind that the OVERALL winner will be determined by the PERFORMANCE scoring of the competitors in the final round at NGCT.
The OVERALL winner will be registered in either the Performance field if they meet the USDGC qualifications listed below in red.

Performance Scoring creates a projected score based on a player’s skill level, course difficulty, and layout. After the round, each player’s performance is evaluated by comparing their projected score with their actual score.
All USDGC entrants must be current PDGA members. Performance Flight competitors must have a rating of 875 or higher and have played a minimum of 12 rated rounds between January 1, 2013 and Mid SEPT, 2013.
Performance Flight competitors will gain entry through events selected by PDGA State Coordinators. Preferably, Disc Golf United’s Performance Scoring used at the local tourney will determine the qualifier. State and National representative spots must also register by August 31st.

I have breakdowns available from 800 rated to 1040 rated for all 3 courses based on the SSA acquired from PDGA Sanctioned Tournament play at NGCT.

Here is a general info look at scores needed to be EVEN PAR performance based wise for NGCT:
850 rated - 69
900 rated - 64
950 rated - 59
1000 rated - 54

As a point of reference - I plugged in the scores from the winners in each of the divisions at NGCT from the March 2012 GSSS Event with performance based scoring to come up with following.

Tim Ellis - 995 rated - Rd 1 -2, Rd 2 +1
Courtney McCoy - 922 rated Rd 1 +5, Rd 2 +6
Bob Braun - 963 rated - Rd 1 -1, Rd 2 -2
Hugh Torbit - 928 rated - Rd 1 -3, Rd 2 -1
Darren Schatz - 920 rated - Rd 1 +1, Rd 2 +1
Ben Neal - 919 rated - Rd 1 +5, Rd 2 even

As you can see most everyone was within a few strokes of each other with ratings spread 80 points apart performance based scoring wise - showing that ANYONE and EVERYONE has a legitimate chance to be the state rep!

Come on out and give yourself a shot to be the state rep with free entry and possibly some spending cash.

So now is the time to start planning for the chance to play in one of the premiere Events in the country at the USDGC and to see some of the top players in the world compete side by side with you if you are the talented state rep winner from Georgia.

More info to be added as needed.

Keith Johnson
PDGA State Representative for Georgia
keith johnson

Re: 2013 USDGC Qualifying info PDGA Sanctioned MAY 11th

Postby mullethead326 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:39 am

Keith--

I'm a current PDGA member, and I'm renting a house in Georgia. Since that address is not permanent, I used my parents' address in Florida (so my PDGA profile displays FL as my location). Am I eligible to participate in this event and qualify from GA?
mullethead326
DX Plastic

Postby keith johnson » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:04 pm

If you currently live and will live in OCT when the USDGC takes place in the state of GA, then you are eligible to be the state representative.

Look forward to seeing you there....

You do realize that means I'll get to know your real name though right? :mrgreen:

It seemed to be a bone of contention before........ :shock:
keith johnson

Postby mrpbody33 » Wed May 01, 2013 8:05 am

I know his name but I will never tell. :D
Barry "Mr. P'body" Arnson
PDGA# 28128
ADGO# 133
http://discgolfatlanta.com/
mrpbody33

Postby Redan Randy » Thu May 02, 2013 1:20 pm

mrpbody33 wrote:I know his name but I will never tell. :D

I think it's Joe.....

or 80's Geddy

Redan IS God's Country!!
Redan Randy
Star Plastic

Postby keith johnson » Thu May 02, 2013 8:04 pm

There will be no online signup as it doesn't make sense to set it up for 8 days......SO........

The FIRST 54 people to show up to check-in between 8:00AM and 9:30AM
(I have extended check-in by 30 minutes do to no online signup) will be eligible to compete for the State Rep spot for GA in the USDGC...
Payment must be in CASH.
.....all other info posted on this thread still applies......PDGA Member (Current or Not Current), 875 Rated, 12 rated rounds before SEPT, etc., etc.

I look forward to seeing everyone who wants to represent GA in the USDGC on MAY 11th!

Keith
keith johnson

Postby mrpbody33 » Fri May 03, 2013 7:38 am

Redan Randy wrote:
mrpbody33 wrote:I know his name but I will never tell. :D

or 80's Geddy

PDGA# 28128
ADGO# 133
mrpbody33

Postby Redan Randy » Fri May 03, 2013 1:11 pm

Don't be affraid, 80's Geddy will rock your daddy panties right off you, you wont feel a thing.

Redan IS God's Country!!
Redan Randy
Star Plastic

Postby grease » Fri May 03, 2013 2:17 pm

My psychic senses tel me this thread shall soon become two.
Fart, it's never not funny!
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby mrpbody33 » Mon May 06, 2013 9:53 am

grease wrote:My psychic senses tel me this thread shall soon become two.

PDGA# 28128
ADGO# 133
mrpbody33

Postby keith johnson » Tue May 07, 2013 11:09 pm

Just a reminder that in 4 days the State Rep for GA to the USDGC is going to be crowned!

The weather is supposed to be sunny and in the mid 70's so come on out and do your best to beat your projected Performance Based score for 2 rounds and get your entry fee covered (need 7 players minimum) with remaining monies (if any) going to the player for spending money.

All necessary info is in the first 2 posts in this thread.

See you SATURDAY at North Georgia Canopy Tours, and Good Luck!
keith johnson

Postby mullethead326 » Thu May 09, 2013 12:22 am

Seems like my normal crew isn't coming this weekend, so is there anyone with whom I could carpool? I'm in midtown ATL and would be glad to meet you at a predetermined location and compensate you for gas. Shoot me a PM...

mullethead326
DX Plastic

Postby keith johnson » Fri May 10, 2013 5:09 pm

Everything is set for tomorrow SAT MAY 11th for the USDGC Qualifier at North Georgia Canopy Tours - I do not have CELL SERVICE there for the most part,
so please be sure to give yourself enough time to be there between 8 AM and 9:30 AM when signup ends.

See everyone in the morning!

Keith
keith johnson

Postby keith johnson » Sat May 11, 2013 11:10 am

19 players from around the state are on the course playing their first round of 2 for thier chance to be the state rep for GA!

Players from Macon, Athens, Savannah, City of Forsyth, Stateboro and the surrounding metro Atlanta area cities are here to attempt to win the spot.

The winner will receive a paid entry to the USDGC and $185 in spending money.

Weather is beautiful with a 10-15 MPH wind and a partly cloudy sky.
Wished everyone luck on their endeavor, and I'll report scores after the last group tees off for round 2 as we are doing tee times after lunch for the second round.

Keith
keith johnson

Postby keith johnson » Sun May 12, 2013 5:29 pm

Results and ratings from the USDGC Qualifier at North Georgia Canopy Tours on MAY 11th..........The system can't sort by performance based scores therefore the prize amounts show the places for the top 6 Performance Based Scoring wise - I'm going to find out next week if the PDGA has another system in place to be able to post performance based results - which they might seeing that the USDGC is going to be using them every year going forward.

http://www.pdga.com/tournament_results/104730/641818272
keith johnson

Postby mullethead326 » Sun May 12, 2013 6:08 pm

keith johnson wrote:Results and ratings from the USDGC Qualifier at North Georgia Canopy Tours on MAY 11th..........The system can't sort by performance based scores therefore the prize amounts show the places for the top 6 Performance Based Scoring wise - I'm going to find out next week if the PDGA has another system in place to be able to post performance based results - which they might seeing that the USDGC is going to be using them every year going forward.

http://www.pdga.com/tournament_results/104730/641818272

Does that prize disqualify someone from amateur status? If yes, can someone return it next weekend?
mullethead326
DX Plastic

Postby keith johnson » Sun May 12, 2013 6:23 pm

No - it was a side pool and not actual prizes won - The only prize won was the USDGC spot - side cash will NOT be listed on the TD report being turned in this week.

This narrows down the who is the Mullet list quite a bit.......... :mrgreen:
keith johnson

Postby mullethead326 » Sun May 12, 2013 6:49 pm

keith johnson wrote:No - it was a side pool and not actual prizes won - The only prize won was the USDGC spot - side cash will NOT be listed on the TD report being turned in this week.

This narrows down the who is the Mullet list quite a bit.......... :mrgreen:

mullethead326
DX Plastic

Return to Disc Golf Tournaments