New course in Austell !

Questions & Answers

Moderator: ADGO BOD

New course in Austell !

Postby jritger » Tue May 08, 2012 1:33 pm

I'll be designing a new course for the city of Austell at Frog Rock Park, 5 minutes off I-20/Thornton Road. It will have 2 teepads (beginner & advanced) and multiple pins per hole. It's on a beautiful piece of land that used to be a ball golf course ... it's now covered in light to moderate trees, but no undergrowth aside from grass. Mostly flat, very shady. If well received, they may put in 9 more holes to make it a full 18.

This project is already funded/approved. No exact timeframe because it's pending the design process, but likely within a couple of months.
jritger

Re: New course in Austell !

Postby craigd » Tue May 08, 2012 3:36 pm

I stopped by the park today to have a look. I'm not sure exactly where the course is going on the property but I did get a look at the general landscape of the park. Looks like a prime place to put a course. I can't wait to see the design.
Craig Dickerson
PDGA# 38061
ADGO# 258
craigd
Pro Plastic

Postby Mike D » Tue May 08, 2012 3:52 pm

Ritger,

That is awesome.

I approached the city of Austell a long time ago on this property, glad to see you got in the door.

Hollar if you need any help, this park is on my route to and from work everyday.

Mike D
Mike D
Champion Plastic

Postby jritger » Tue May 08, 2012 4:11 pm

I stopped by the park today to have a look. I'm not sure exactly where the course is going on the property but I did get a look at the general landscape of the park. Looks like a prime place to put a course. I can't wait to see the design.

There is a parking lot behind the BBQ place, right there. There is a paved walking path, anywhere inside that and north of the gravel path, the space that is already cleared out and grassy ... it's about 13 acres. I think directly south of that is the "future" piece, but not sure yet.

Once I get a general idea of the design I'll invite people out to test/tweak it with temp baskets.
jritger

Postby Pulverizer » Tue May 08, 2012 9:41 pm

Wow! I'm glad to hear this. :D I work less than a mile from there. If I can help in anyway let me know. I know some of the city officials. And I have a couple of temp baskets for when you want to try a layout.
I'm your source of self destruction...
Tim Bell
PDGA# 50060
Pulverizer
DX Plastic

Postby VERMIN » Wed May 09, 2012 9:48 am

Did someone say BBQ place? Mmmm BBQ
Speakin' the vernacular of the peasantry. Poor little kid, I hope she gets home all right....Professor Marvel

Vern Williams - ADGO #120 - PDGA #27359
VERMIN
Star Plastic

Postby BurritoToes » Fri May 11, 2012 9:21 am

I work very close too. Can't wait to play at lunch!

Let me know when you start needing help to install.
BurritoToes
Barney

Postby atl scott » Sun May 13, 2012 12:10 am

Great news! Another ritger design, and close to where I (used to) live! If only I could buy more course fundraiser ching flat top rocs...
atl scott
Pro Plastic

Postby Mike D » Mon May 14, 2012 9:56 am

Austell Approves Construction of $8,000 Disc Golf Course
Austell will soon have the second public disc golf course in the county and one of about 60 in the state.

By Kiri Walton
Email the author
May 8, 2012

Disc golf is becoming increasingly more popular across the United States, and now Austell will have its own disc golf course after the Austell City Council unanimously approved on Tuesday construction of the course on 12 acres at the Louise Suggs Memorial Park.

The nine-hole course, which will cost $8,000, will be available for free, public use seven days a week during open park hours, Mayor Joe Jerkins explained.

The city plans to construct another nine holes at a later date, he said.

Because Cobb SPLOST funds cannot be used for the disc golf project, funding for the course will come from the Austell Area Community Improvement Fund. Four of the five members of the AACIC board recommended approving construction, while the fifth member could not be reached for a vote.

As of right now, Cobb’s Oregon Park in Marietta is the only public park with a disc golf course. Both Douglasville and Dallas have parks with 18-hole disc golf courses as well. Georgia has 55 disc golf courses, according to the Professional Disc Golf Association website.

The new disc golf course could attract active players from around the county and region.

Cobb resident Craig Dickerson serves on the current events committee of the Cobb Disc Golf Club and is a member of the Professional Disc Golf Association and the Atlanta Disc Golf Organization.

Dickerson said he plays disc golf twice a week and competes in about 20 tournaments a year in Tennessee, Georgia, Kentucky and Alabama.

"It's a family-friendly game that can be played at the competitive level," Dickerson wrote in an email to South Cobb Patch.

According to the disc golf proposal, “the course must cater to both people with no prior experience with the sport as well as experienced players.”

Professional Disc Golf Player John Ritger will design the course. Ritger has played disc golf for 15 years and was the primary designer of Perkerson Park in Atlanta.
Mike D
Champion Plastic

Postby jritger » Mon May 28, 2012 4:32 pm

Initial design of long teepads is complete. Trees are marked to be cut. If it goes as expected (trees I've marked can all be cut) this course will be sick with big, valid fairways. The land is 100% shule-free as-is and will be immaculate when the grass is cut.

As marked it's a par 31 with 6 par 3's, 2 par 4's and 1 par 5.

Once the trees have been cleared, I'll be running some action with temp baskets to test out the course & scoring spreads ... hopefully within the next couple of weeks. I'll post on this thread about that when it's time.

Photos: http://imgur.com/a/qNvAG
jritger

Postby Lewis » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:10 pm

Wow, that is a pretty piece of land. Well done, Ritger!
Lewis
Champion Plastic

Postby jritger » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:57 pm

The trees have apparently already been cut down ... more soon.
jritger

Postby jritger » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:05 pm

Trees have been cut and partially removed. Its time to start testing out the course. I'm going to set it up tomorrow (Sunday) with temp baskets ... Anyone interested in checking it out (and contributing some stats) is welcome to play. I'll plan on running some singles action at 3pm, 2 rounds of 9 holes. Bring a metal basket if you have one and be there by 2:45 if bringing basket

Google maps: williamsons BBQ in Austell, ga ... Park is right behind the BBQ

Wear longs socks or pants as the grass is long in a few spots
jritger

Postby craigd » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:50 pm

jritger wrote:Google maps: williamsons BBQ in Austell, ga ... Park is right behind the BBQ

I think you meant to say "Wallace" BBQ in Austell. I hope to make it and if so I'll bring a metal basket. Thanks For making it happen John!
Craig Dickerson
PDGA# 38061
ADGO# 258
craigd
Pro Plastic

Postby Pulverizer » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:49 pm

Had a great time playing the temp set up today. It's gonna be a great course. Frog Rock...rip it rip it.
Tim Bell
PDGA# 50060
Pulverizer
DX Plastic

Postby jritger » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:44 am

We'll do similar action again next weekend once the remaining debris is cleared. Not sure when yet. Please give feedback about what you liked and didn't (those who made it out yesterday)

Here are the scores: https://sites.google.com/site/jritger/Home/Frog%20Rock%20Scores%20_%206.3.2012.pdf
jritger

Postby Bootsie » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:05 pm

Please don't give me a reason to rip this course. There's already more then enough sub par courses here in Atlanta. Thanks just some words of incouragement
Bootsie
Pro Plastic

Postby JeremyO » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:28 pm

Course is/will be awesome. It's also great to see how responsive the city is being. It will be interesting to see how much of the plans for the pavillion and later phases pan out as well.
JeremyO
DX Plastic

Postby Bootsie » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:32 pm

I got nuttin but love for ya. Lil heavy D
Bootsie
Pro Plastic

Postby jritger » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:45 pm

I thought it played too easy, so pushing back the pads/pins as much as the space will allow is top of my list. Courses always look shorter when there are baskets in.

#1 - liked, but want to try throwing the other pad position. I like that it's shady, even in long position, and it may play slightly tougher.
#2 - liked, but too short/easy. Going to try creating a pin location back and to the right ... although the way this hole is, there really is very little room to make it longer on either end.
#3 - need to try without a pile of trees. This is most likely to change of all holes. I do like the anhyzer shot, but need to play hole 5 without trees to see if this teepad location will work.
#4 - same comment about playing without a pile of trees. I liked it, but subject to change if #3 changes ... and may be too close to hole 5.
#5 - needs some trees cut on the left to open up the tee shot as well as along the right side to encourage shots near the walking path back into the fairway. overall I liked this hole and how it played, and I really like having a par 5.
#6 - really liked how this played, no changes
#7 - liked this one, maybe can push the pad back a little bit.
#8 - liked this one, I may try pushing the pad forward slightly (to help be able to lengthen #7) as there is tons of room to push the pin back. this will be a long/tough par 3.
#9 - going to move the tee up in front of the pine tree (up and slightly left) ... this will compress the fairway and make the tee shot harder, and prevent any interference with #2
jritger

Postby Bootsie » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:57 pm

Courses in Atlanta are at least headed in the right direction now that pros are designing most of the courses. One small step for man one giant leap for mankind. I mean ya got to ask yourself can I bogey this hole not a spread sheet of how the hole plays during a tournament. If that answer is no the hole is no beano
Bootsie
Pro Plastic

Postby JeremyO » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:48 pm

Here's my hole-by-hole feedback:

1 - 1st pad we played makes for a good warm up/get started hole. It would see a lot of 2s in tournament play in non-Rec groups. I was just a little outside my putting range with a Buzzz off the tee first round. The longer pad actually made me pull a driver out the bag. Being out in the open kinda sucked though, probably just because it was hot in comparison to the shade on the rest of the course. I'd also like to play the pad to the right with the flex shot.

2 - In the current configuration, it seems like it will end up as a 3.5 tweener hole with more statistical data. A good drive makes it easily three-able. Pushing the pin back is probably what's called for here.

3 - Easy 3 in either pin position. Will see a lot of 2s in tournament play. Can the pin be pushed even further right than we played second round?

4 - The big hyzer route seems to be the way to go. The straighter gap is pretty punishing if you get caught up before the turn.

5 - Agree that more clearing is needed before a true assessment can be made. Ending up right off the 1st or 2nd shot currently encourages you to go out over the path. There's few openings to get back into the main fairway. I didn't get to play the left fairway, so no opinion there.

6 - Great Hole. Great that there's hyzer and anhyzer/lefty routes even if the anhyzer route is riskier. Power needed on the hyzer shot is deceiving the first time you throw it.

7 - Rec pad should maybe be slightly ahead of where we played while the advanced/pro pad should be straight back a little further from the current spot. Moving 8 like you're thinking should help with the tree action.

8 - Moving this forward a little (both pin and pad) should help lengthen 7.

9 - Really liked the right had side fairway from the current pad. That lane is perfect for a long flipped/understable drive. Totally understand if you need to move it because of 2 though. The second shot was kinda weird with the line of pine trees that you either had to be in front of or behind to get to the pin. I wouldn't change it. It made you be deliberate about how you were going to shape your second shot. A good drive and 2nd shot will make this easily three-able, which may be undesirable like 2's configuration.

Hope next week's action is on Sunday as well. I'll probably be at Blindhog on Saturday.
JeremyO
DX Plastic

Postby Bootsie » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:21 pm

And by bogeying I don't mean three putting. In your spread sheets of how holes play you never now if the hole got bogeyed because it takes a good drive not because you had a 35 footer went at it aggressive and the come back is just as long. Those kind of bogeys shouldn't constitute
Bootsie
Pro Plastic

Postby jritger » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:03 pm

Jeremy - thanks
Boot - I think you are trying to say you want to make sure the hole has legitimate bogey risk? If so, I don't disagree.
jritger

Postby jritger » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:31 pm

Here is an updated design for those of you who saw the initial design last week.

Summary of changes:
lengthening #1's pin to where #2's teepad was.
making #2 a long par 3.
combining #3/#4 into one hole that's a par 4
the par 5 hole is now a par 4 (1st 2/3 of hole exactly the same)
new uphill par 3 plays to where the par 5's pin was. Long tee is just behind where #2's pin location was last week.
#6, #7 & #8: exactly the same
#9: same teepad, longer pin to add 50' to 100' in distance

Map of revised layout

The park looked exactly the same as last week (in terms of dead trees on the ground). If they clear the rest of the trees, I'll be running action next Sunday to test out the layout. Check back later in the week.
jritger

Postby jritger » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:54 pm

Beta testing this Sunday 6/24. It sounds like trees have been cut and mostly removed.

Sunday 6/24/2012 @ 3pm
2 rounds of 9-holes singles
Action if anyone is interested

It's mostly shady and flat so it shouldn't be terrible in the afternoon heat. Not sure of grass level so at bring long socks, may or may not need them.
jritger

Postby RAM » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:26 am

Loved the property John! It was a really fun time seeing this course for the first time. I don't get out much these days but yesterday was well worth my opportunity for this month.

As far as feedback goes, obviously the course will be way more player-friendly when the grass is cut, the rest of the marked trees are down and the dead trees are hauled away. The main issue we noticed on our card was some layout concerns. We had at least 3 or 4 holes where we threw drives a little off the line we aimed for (but by no means way off) and noticed our lie was on a teepad for another hole (or really close to it). If the course was full of players, it seems there would be a lot of danger the way it is currently set. I really don't remember all the specific hole numbers, but that is really my only negative feedback.

On the positive, given the layout of the entire property, this course will be really fun, not as tiring as some due to the lack of elevation and would offer some really fun safari golf if it's not too crowded.

Thanks again for all the work you do for disc golf in Atlanta and I look forward to next time.
RAM
Barney

Postby JeremyO » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:48 am

The teepad proximity issues were:

3's teepad too close to errant shots/tree kicks on 4's left fairway.
6's teepad too close to landing zone for drives on 5 that hit the gap but fade out.
9's 2nd shot for the long pin position can be over 2's teepad if the drive finishes straight or right.

And still lingering is 7's teepad for tree kicks on drives on 8.

Lastly, the walking path from 8's pin to 9's pad will have to be clearly demarcated once all the brush is cleared out. It's pretty easy to wander over in front of 5's pad.
JeremyO
DX Plastic

Postby Pulverizer » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:57 am

Any update on the progress John?
Tim Bell
PDGA# 50060
Pulverizer
DX Plastic

Postby jritger » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:49 am

Design is basically finalized pending testing out after a few more trees come out. Very close to getting pads and baskets.
jritger

Postby Pulverizer » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:25 pm

Sounds great John. Anything I can do to help. Just let me know.
Tim Bell
PDGA# 50060
Pulverizer
DX Plastic

Postby jritger » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:10 am

Update:
Things appear to finally be moving again ... we've been in holding pattern for 6 weeks waiting on tree removal. Trees are coming out today, and teepads will be installed in next couple of weeks. I'll hold another round of testing with several 9-hole rounds to test out the pin locations (most holes will have 3) before they set them in the ground, after teepads are installed.

I'm hoping the teepads will turn out OK. The park has a giant (free) pile of chunky gravel that they want to use for them. Two of the long tees will able to play from the concrete path.

Baskets will be Mach V, likely with the upgrade to blue powder coating and number plates.

Par will be 28 with a big dog-leg right par 4. Holes 1-8 will each have 3 pin positions, hole 9 will have a single elevated pin.

This map is fairly accurate, although several of the holes will be lengthened slightly. Holes 5,6 & 8 play longer than the actual distance.
jritger

Postby JeremyO » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:04 pm

Good news Ritger!

jritger wrote:This map is fairly accurate...

Is there a new link?
JeremyO
DX Plastic

Postby Mike D » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:55 pm

John,

Do not use the "big chunky" gravel.

You will just end up removing it.

Not only is it crappy for tee material, but someone will end up turning an ankle before it is all said and done.

On a side note, let me know when the next work day is and I will try to make it out to help.

Later,

Mike D
Mike D
Champion Plastic

Postby jritger » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:40 pm

Do not use the "big chunky" gravel.

You will just end up removing it.

Not only is it crappy for tee material, but someone will end up turning an ankle before it is all said and done.

I have advised them as such, but ultimately is their call (they = city of austell, who is installing the teepads)
jritger

Postby Mike D » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:35 am

Any updates on this course???
Mike D
Champion Plastic

Postby jritger » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:23 pm

No updates. I've been hounding them weekly for the last 3 months ... everytime I talk to them they are "taking the trees out next week"
jritger

Postby jritger » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:26 pm

Here's an update, but take with a grain of salt as I've been given this message several times already.

They are clearing the remaining trees and mowing all this week to get ready for final testing and teepad installation. If that's true, I'll setup some testing for next weekend (last weekend in Sept)
jritger

Postby BurritoToes » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:58 pm

I was out there at lunch today and it looks like they mowed and took out some trees. Not sure which or how many trees were supposed to come down, but I did see some small hardwoods cut down and piled up. They even used a stump grinder to remove the stumps!
BurritoToes
Barney

Postby jritger » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:26 am

Trees have all been cut now and design is completed, now waiting on the city to install the teepads. After that I'll have people out to play to make sure the basket positions are good before giving final OK for the sleeve positions.
jritger

Postby jritger » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:46 pm

A realistic update, they are now saying goal is to have it up and running by Spring 2013.
jritger

Postby jritger » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:10 pm

Movement ... I just got back from staking the course with the city. Next step is teepad installation, which may occur in the next few weeks. Materials are still TBD but they are pushing for concrete.

They will have a grand opening major event in "early spring". And they are already talking about the next 9 holes ...

So it could be in the ground pretty soon, but don't get too excited yet.
jritger

Postby Bootsie » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:19 pm

4 rounds of 9. breaks in between lunch between second and third round. card changes 4 times. Check!! for your fundraiser just an idea. could possible move baskets around between all rounds. Check!!
Bootsie
Pro Plastic

Postby jritger » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:48 am

I'm thinking pretty close to that to fully test out the course once the pads are finished. Each hole has 3 pin placements, so more like 3 rounds with short breaks in between to move baskets and shuffle cards.
jritger

Postby jritger » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:27 pm

another update: talked to the city today and they are supposed to be installing teepads (now likely concrete but still TBD) next week and baskets within one month.
jritger

Postby jritger » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:59 am

Teepad installation has started. Teepads will be 12' (long) x 6' (rear) x 4' (front) compacted gravel surrounded by 6"x 6" frame set level with the ground. Not my choice of materials, but it's what will be there. Baskets will be Mach III's with 3 pin positions per hole.
jritger

Postby craigd » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:11 am

Excited to hear that's it's finally moving along again. I'm surprised to hear that about the tee pads though. Knowing what 6x6's cost and the labor involved with burying them and then bringing in gravel, I imaging they're spending about the same as if they would just do concrete. In any event, I'm happy to have another course ~30 min from my house. Thanks for all your hard work out there, John.
Last edited by craigd on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Craig Dickerson
PDGA# 38061
ADGO# 258
craigd
Pro Plastic

Postby jritger » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:41 am

I know what you mean, I don't understand either, especially since I've advocated for concrete and against gravel ...
jritger

Postby Pulverizer » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:30 pm

Walked the course at lunch today. Except for stakes marking the tee pads and basket locations. I didn't see any progress. :(
Tim Bell
PDGA# 50060
Pulverizer
DX Plastic

Postby jritger » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:37 am

The first six teepads were roughed in yesterday. If you go check it out, don't worry - they have promised to sift and compact the gravel; these are not finished yet. They seem to be very excited about and supportive of the course and mentioned yesterday that there will be a grand opening celebration this spring, and bathrooms and a pavilion coming soon. This is the same design we're using for the teepads at Perkerson, except for a different filler material.

http://imgur.com/nqruZY4

http://imgur.com/ECCnSW1
jritger

Postby Mike D » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:16 pm

Stopped by there yesterday on my way home from work.

Starting to look good!!

They had teepads framed and basket locations staked, looking forward tp playing out here soon.

Thanks for all your hard work John.

Let me know when you need some help out there.

Mike D
Mike D
Champion Plastic

Postby craigd » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:03 am

Walked the entire course yesterday. Every pad is framed and back-filled with gravel now, with the exception of long 4. It made me wonder if maybe the tee pad is actually going to be marked on the paved path instead of a gravel tee box since it's so close. I don't think the gravel pads will be too bad when they get the big chunks out and maybe pack it down a little bit. On one of the pads, I think it was hole 2 long, my foot sank into the gravel/mud mix about up to my ankle. Hopefully that will resolve itself once it dries out. Most of the others were pretty firm though. I was also wondering, will all the paved paths be considered OB and the gravel paths will all be causal?
Craig Dickerson
PDGA# 38061
ADGO# 258
craigd
Pro Plastic

Postby jritger » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:45 pm

I checked it out too yesterday. They put in a lot of the pads crooked and they have been advised to redo about 7 of them so they point towards the fairway. We were waiting on #4 long to see what material they were using, and I was out there to mark a pad location -- they decided they want a pad there.

I think they've just put these in initially and there remains a good bit of compacting and sifting. You probably noticed the giant pile of gravel in the park; that's the reason for using it. They are very soft and chunky right now.

Yep, paved paths and beyond OB and casual gravel.

The baskets have shipped so they should move quickly now to resolve the teepads. Once completed I want to do some testing with portable baskets then will OK the final pin locations.
jritger

Postby billnchristy » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:47 pm

Looks great! I saw a pic on facebook and decided to come by and see if I could find anything else.

Looks like it will be a fun course to play.
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Postby BurritoToes » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:15 pm

Concrete tees are in! :D

I went by after lunch today and the city was finishing up the last of the concrete tees.

At least two people had already left their initials or name in the tees. :(

Also, they had filled in the low spots that retained water the last time I was out! Looks like the city is trying to make this a first class course, glad to see it.
BurritoToes
Barney

Postby Mike D » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:29 pm

Bring on the baskets!!
Mike D
Champion Plastic

Postby jritger » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:49 pm

Concrete is confirmed in and will (hopefully) be tweaked in the few instances where the tees are crooked.

Only thing needed before the baskets can be installed is a final round of testing to make sure the pin positions are valid. That will happen this Sunday April 7th @ 10am. There are 3 pins per hole, so I'm running 27-hole action with baskets rotating between each 9 hole round. To keep it moving, there will be minimal break in between each 9 hole round, so bring food. $10 buyin, singles, two divisions (long pads and short pads). If you have a metal portable, bring it, or else I have plenty of traveller fabric baskets.
jritger

Postby jritger » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:47 am

Testing went well yesterday and I've given them the green light to proceed with basket installation. Thanks everyone that came out. This will be a very fun course once finished -- think Redan west.
jritger

Postby grease » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:22 pm

Oh no you di'nt! Randy?
Fart, it's never not funny!
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby Redan Randy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:02 pm

jritger wrote:think Redan west.

Redan IS God's Country!!
Redan Randy
Star Plastic

Postby Pulverizer » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:37 pm

Went by at lunch today. City workers were cutting the grass, and had a Bobcat smoothing out the rough spots in the fairways. Still no sleeves installed though :( One of the workers asked for lessons when the course is done. Poor guy must be desperate if he wants me to teach him the game :lol:
Tim Bell
PDGA# 50060
Pulverizer
DX Plastic

Postby jritger » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:41 am

Just got an update: sleeves (and I think baskets too) going in next week. Ribbon cutting May 21, 2013
jritger

Postby inspzig » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:46 am

had a chance to look at the park area last week it looks great and cant wait to play would like to be there for grand opening hope it happens on may21 in am great job to all :D
inspzig
Barney

Postby Pulverizer » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:06 pm

Went by again today. They have fences up and painted, and are painting the bridges. Grass seed has been sown around tee pads. Still no baskets up :( And I saw one very disturbing sign "No Alcoholic Beverages Allowed" Glad I'm not an alcoholic so I can bring beer. :D
Tim Bell
PDGA# 50060
Pulverizer
DX Plastic

Postby grease » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:45 am

Good on Tim! I walked some of the course a few weeks ago and it looks very promising (at least what I could figure out). Thanks for getting this put in John.
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby jritger » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:37 pm

Pins are going in next week, but baskets will not be installed until after they have a ribbon cutting. I'm double checking that date as I realize its a Tuesday.
jritger

Postby Mike D » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:47 pm

We want baskets NOW!!!

I pass this course on my way home everyday, can not wait for them to finish this.

Let me know exact date and time for ribbon cutting and I will be there!!
Mike D
Champion Plastic

Postby grease » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:12 pm

You can't cut the ribbon Mikey!
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby jritger » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:21 pm

Official ribbon cutting is at 2pm on TUESDAY May 21. I didn't pick the time. They have 100 special edition Frog Rock discs to give away and everyone is invited.
jritger

Postby Mike D » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:23 pm

Looks like I will be taking a 1/2 day of vacation on Tuesday 5/21
Mike D
Champion Plastic

Postby craigoleggomyeggo » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:11 am

I work for the City of Austell. I wanted to thank you John for all the hard work you have put in to this course. Love reading the buzz you guys have created for the new course on this site too.
Please, all who are able, attend the ribbon cutting if you can. We want this event to be BIG but want the popularity of the course to be GINORMOUS! The baskets will be in place for the ribbon cutting...so you will be able to play as soon as the ribbon is cut.
craigoleggomyeggo
Barney

Postby keith johnson » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:13 pm

craigoleggomyeggo wrote:I work for the City of Austell. I wanted to thank you John for all the hard work you have put in to this course. Love reading the buzz you guys have created for the new course on this site too.
Please, all who are able, attend the ribbon cutting if you can. We want this event to be BIG but want the popularity of the course to be GINORMOUS! The baskets will be in place for the ribbon cutting...so you will be able to play as soon as the ribbon is cut.

Congrats on the course at the park and thanks for getting Disc Golf in another park!

Their should be a decent turnout of players (who aren't working / or play hooky), but the only way you would have gotten a GINORMOUS amount of players would have been to have done this on a SAT or SUN - there would be probably 100+ (myself included) if it were on a weekend day......unfortunately my work doesn't include Disc Golf Grand Openings (even though I'm the PDGA State Coordinator) as an excused absence. :mrgreen:

I hope the powers that be understand that if there isn't a big turnout, and I look forward to seeing it sometime in the summer!

Keith
Father of Future World Champion Lorelei Johnson #13697
keith johnson

Postby grease » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:19 am

If you build it they will come! I think regardless of the date, there will be a strong showing. Maybe not quite as many if it were a weekend, but there will still be a lot of people there to show support. I'll be there. I think you'll be surprised at how many people are there.
especially since it's the new Redan and not in the hood.
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby keith johnson » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:55 pm

I said there will be a decent turnout in the first sentence, I also said there would be ALOT more (myself included) and the GINORMOUS turnout he's hoping for if it was on the weekend instead of the middle of a work / school day.

I look forward to seeing a Ritger design without underbrush, small trees on the edges of fairways and creeks. :mrgreen:
keith johnson

Postby Redan Randy » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:13 pm

grease wrote:especially since it's the new Redan and not in the hood.

GREASE!! I don't know about this course yet(they wont even let God play there before the grand opening!) but I know Deerlack is not My Country. My Country has My Wildlife like squirrels, owls, two kinds of beaver, bass, two kinds of brim, dogs, wills dawgs, sequoyah snakes(i know, i laugh when i say that too), squirrels, short haired yeti, gator, turkeys, rabbits, deer, coons, cats, hawks, cardinals, moose, clunck(may be short haired yeti, they have never actually been seen together), and squirrels!! That sounds like My kind of Hood! Now back to you Grease, I have My Lightning Rod pointed at your ass(big target!), Watch it!!
Redan IS God's Country!!
Redan Randy
Star Plastic

Postby grease » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:08 pm

What took you so long Randy?
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby Redan Randy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:37 pm

grease wrote:What took you so long Randy?

Grease, Redan Randy is just a conduit I use to reach My Masses(like the women in his life). I was busy mowing My Country.
Redan IS God's Country!!
Redan Randy
Star Plastic

Postby grease » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:33 am

Well, thank you for boobies, beer, and bringing Redan closer to me.
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby jritger » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:31 pm

Here is a document with the distances by layout. https://sites.google.com/site/jritger/Home/Frog%20Rock%20Distances.pdf

The "A" layout (moderate) has 3 pins each in short/medium/long
The "B" layout (harder) has 5 pins in long, 3 in medium, 1 short
The "C" layout (easier) has 5 pins in short, 3 in medium, 1 long

They will rotate between A / B / C on a set basis (i.e. biweekly).

Anchors were installed today. They have done a ton of work out there in the past few weeks, adding a parking area and fencing. Bathrooms are coming soon. They are already talking about the next 9 holes too ...
jritger

Postby Mike D » Mon May 06, 2013 3:29 pm

Mike D
Champion Plastic

Postby Mike D » Tue May 07, 2013 4:45 pm

Good thing the Grand Opening wasn't this week, you would need scuba gear to play the course right now.
Mike D
Champion Plastic

Postby Pulverizer » Tue May 14, 2013 7:19 pm

Went by again today. They painted the tee boxes blue for long tees and red for short. Looks like all the sleeves installed. Can't wait for the ribbon cutting next week.
Tim Bell
PDGA# 50060
Pulverizer
DX Plastic

Postby keith johnson » Tue May 14, 2013 10:38 pm

Pulverizer wrote:Went by again today. They painted the tee boxes blue for long tees and red for short. Looks like all the sleeves installed. Can't wait for the ribbon cutting next week.

PLEASE tell me you mean the back 6 inches or a brick at the front of the concrete tee, and not the entire Teepad...... :shock:
keith johnson

Postby Pulverizer » Wed May 15, 2013 5:45 am

:lol: Just the pressure treated 6"X6" border.
Tim Bell
PDGA# 50060
Pulverizer
DX Plastic

Postby Mike D » Fri May 17, 2013 11:49 am

Drove thru downtown Austell on my way home yesterday, they have one of those big screen message boards on the clock tower.

Had to do a double-take, cause there was a picture of a disc golfer on the screen.

They were announcing the grand openong of the Frog Rock disc golf course this coming Tuesday.

Pretty Cool!
Mike D
Champion Plastic

Postby Bradshaw » Fri May 17, 2013 4:07 pm

Mike D wrote:Looks like I will be taking a 1/2 day of vacation on Tuesday 5/21

See you there Damesy
Bradshaw

Postby grease » Thu May 23, 2013 12:33 pm

That whole event was very impressive! I've never seen so much pomp and circumstance over a disc golf course opening! They had food, drinks, free disc, and local dignitaries welcoming the course. Well done John!
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Return to Q & A