East Roswell Library Public Input Meeting 3/31 7pm

Fulton County - Roswell, Ga

Moderators: kurt, Imran, ADGO BOD

East Roswell Library Public Input Meeting 3/31 7pm

Postby 12StonesScott » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:54 pm

Sorry for the late notice, but I only got the forwarded info on this this morning, and the board seemed to be down most of the morning.

There's a public meeting tomorrow night, 3/31, at 7 pm at the East Roswell Park Rec Center to get public input on the new library slated for development on the Holcomb Bridge/Fouts corner of the East Roswell Park property. The siting/design/construction of the library could affect at least some of the holes on the ERP course, holes 4 and 6 particularly.

The more of us who show up and respectfully voice our concerns while supporting the overall goal of building the library, the more positive effect we're likely to have.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: New Roswell Library - local resident input requested
To: eastroswell@gmail.com
Date: Saturday, March 26, 2011, 9:32 PM

The Central Library has requested local residents meet on Thursday, March 31st at 7:00 PM at the East Roswell Park Community Center Building to provide them with input on what you would like to see in our new library to be built at Holcomb Bridge Rd and Fouts Rd (near the East Roswell Park).

This will be our opportunity to give ideas on what we want in our Library.

The design portion of the construction program begins later this year so we want to make our comments heard.

If you have any questions feel free to contact:

Anne Haimes, Branch Group Manager
404-730-1881 or anne.haimes@fultoncountyga.gov

Please share this information with friends and neighbors to show we care about our New Library and encourage everyone interested to come to the meeting.

Thanks,

Eileen Seidman,
President, People For The East Roswell Library
r4455atl@aol.com

--
East Roswell Forum
"Sharing Information among Neighborhoods"
Web Site: EastRoswell.org
If you wish to subscribe, or unsubscribe, to E-Mail Updates from the East Roswell Forum, please send your request to: EastRoswell@gmail.com
12StonesScott
Champion Plastic

Re: East Roswell Library Public Input Meeting 3/31 7pm

Postby dandaman » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:26 am

With Kendall's and the internet I'm suprised a library is on anyone's list. Come to a library near my house....but make sure you check the day and time that you want to go visit. I believe all Henry County libraries are closed on weekends AND on particular weekdays.

Don't get me started on my wife the school teacher who is not gaureented a job for next year...

Next thing you know kids are going to be tele-teached. Neal Boortz is a genius. I'm sure he'd support the idea.
Johnson! Keep an eye on that Kherplakistan situation...
dandaman
Star Plastic

Postby 12StonesScott » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:03 pm

Attended the meeting last night on the library. Not a whole lot of additional hard info about the potential impact of the library on the course, though it was mentioned that the city's original offer of two acres of land might well end up being something between two and five acres. A two acre square starting at the Holcomb Bridge/Fouts intersection would likely result in minimal impact to the course, but five acres would potentially encroach significantly on holes 4 and 6, depending on the shape of the parcel. The Heery/Russell (library program management firm) representative I spoke to confirmed that a 15000 sq. ft. one-story building and required parking, etc., would be difficult to fit into a two-acre footprint, especially considering some of the challenges imposed by the terrain at that location.

On the positive side, the same Heery/Russell person was the first one to mention the disc golf course during the meeting, indicating that they're aware of it and have at least considered the impact of the library construction on it. Unfortunately, he seemed to have only a tenuous grasp of the specifics of the course layout, mentioning hole 7 as the one that would be most likely to be affected (4 and 6 are much more likely to be affected). The notion of designing the building and site in order to take advantage of or feature the connection to the disc golf course was also mentioned.

So, in general we don't know a whole lot more than we did before the meeting. The most solid information I gained was the timeline for design/construction. Based on the information presented, the design and construction planning for the library should be complete sometime next year, with construction to begin in 2012 and completion/opening of the facility in 2013. We will need to continue to monitor the planning and construction process and actively look for opportunities to influence the decisions being made.
12StonesScott
Champion Plastic

Postby Gotthard-driver » Tue May 08, 2012 11:37 am

Found this article not having heard any more news on the LIBRARY vs ERP layout: http://www.northfulton.com/Articles-TOP ... y.html#123

Is the DAMN TREE planned as a fund raiser? $ would enable to quickly redesign the course. Things been uncertain right now I am guessing that part of hole 3, 5 will be affected and the likes of 4 and 6 will disappear. Also I m thinking how they are going to deal with the "water drain" off this facility. Stinks cuz those 4 holes are perhaps the nicest sequenced holes ever. Perhaps a few trees down, in proximity of the library, would spark some new creative layout. Seems like we ll have some room b/w 2, 6 and 7. Hoping on a good outcome for the future of ERP!

Alex
Gotthard-driver
Barney

Postby 12StonesScott » Tue May 08, 2012 11:33 pm

Gotthard-driver wrote:Found this article not having heard any more news on the LIBRARY vs ERP layout: http://www.northfulton.com/Articles-TOP ... y.html#123

Is the DAMN TREE planned as a fund raiser? $ would enable to quickly redesign the course. Things been uncertain right now I am guessing that part of hole 3, 5 will be affected and the likes of 4 and 6 will disappear. Also I m thinking how they are going to deal with the "water drain" off this facility. Stinks cuz those 4 holes are perhaps the nicest sequenced holes ever. Perhaps a few trees down, in proximity of the library, would spark some new creative layout. Seems like we ll have some room b/w 2, 6 and 7. Hoping on a good outcome for the future of ERP!

Alex

Thanks, Alex, for the prompt to go dig. I was out of town during the meeting and didn't get any notifications or updates on it from any of the sources I try to monitor. A little bit annoyed by that.

Here's what the only site plan diagram I've been able to find looks like:

Based on overlaying this with a Google Maps aerial photo, it's better news than I'd dared hope, assuming that there's not more to the story than is shown here.

When I first looked at this design it didn't seem to infringe seriously on any holes. On reviewing it again I've realized I was off in my understanding of where the basket for 4 is in the aerial. It would end up under the parking area on the south side of the library, near the book drop. The wild card is where the bike path that passes under the building ends up as it goes between holes 4 and 6. So Hole 4 would have to be reworked -- shortened or moved left into the woods, and that bike path is a potential issue unless it could be curved around closer to the parking lot. But otherwise, no changes would seem to be needed. Probably about as good as we could have hoped for.

Architect's web site, with renderings of the buildings as well as the site plan: http://hbmarchitects.com/projects/eastroswell.html

On DarnTree Doubles being a fundraiser, that's not the plan currently, as I understand it. There is a tentative plan for a fundraiser tournament at ERP this year, but that hasn't been fully developed yet. Stay tuned.
Last edited by 12StonesScott on Wed May 09, 2012 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
12StonesScott
Champion Plastic

Library Site Plan overlay on aerial; building renderings

Postby 12StonesScott » Wed May 09, 2012 8:19 am

12StonesScott
Champion Plastic

Postby Gotthard-driver » Wed May 09, 2012 8:50 am

That is awesome Scott! Thanks for sharing your overlaying work. I must say as a neighbor of this project I am not all contrary to it. The architect belongs to the 21st century unlike any structure in the Roswell area. As per the course I am sure that things not getting drastically affected we ll still claim a Darn Tree course!
Gotthard-driver
Barney

Postby 12StonesScott » Wed May 09, 2012 11:38 am

Gotthard-driver wrote:That is awesome Scott! Thanks for sharing your overlaying work. I must say as a neighbor of this project I am not all contrary to it. The architect belongs to the 21st century unlike any structure in the Roswell area. As per the course I am sure that things not getting drastically affected we ll still claim a Darn Tree course!

I'm looking forward to having a library within walking distance, and I gotta admit that they seem to be managing to get things moving faster than I expected -- I was afraid my now-eight-year-old daughter would be in college before it happened. I hate losing any part of the course, but I do think that this is something we can work around.
12StonesScott
Champion Plastic

Postby Lewis » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:10 pm

No idea if this is the wrong place to post this, and I don't know if it's old news, but I played ERP today with Bradshaw and Doke, and we saw a couple of surveyor stakes in the ground near hole 7. One was a couple of yards to the right of the black #7 pad, and the other was way right of the fairway, in the shule on the steep part of the hill. Depending on what the stakes signify, and what kind of landscaping is done there, #7 might actually survive without needing to move. Does anyone who plays frequently have any more info. since Scott posted in early May?
Lewis
Champion Plastic

Postby 12StonesScott » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:01 pm

They're doing geotechnical survey work all over the area around 4, 5, 6, and 7 right now, but as far as I know there's no indication that the footprint of the building/parking lot will be any bigger than what the plans posted earlier showed. Last Saturday during singles they were in the woods between 4 and 6 cutting down a few trees to allow them to get to the spots they needed to for drilling, and had their pickup parked all the way over on the right side of the 4th fairway just past the last trailer. One of the guys in the group ahead of us talked to them earlier in the day and they confirmed my interpretation of the site plan with regard to hole 4 -- specifically, that the current basket area will be part of the parking lot, and that at some point that entire depressed area around the basket will be under about 16 feet of fill dirt to bring it up to the level of the rest of the parking area. Otherwise, though, there's still no new official information from any of the relevant sources.
12StonesScott
Champion Plastic

Postby Cha Ching » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:01 pm

12StonesScott wrote:They're doing geotechnical survey work all over the area around 4, 5, 6, and 7 right now, but as far as I know there's no indication that the footprint of the building/parking lot will be any bigger than what the plans posted earlier showed. Last Saturday during singles they were in the woods between 4 and 6 cutting down a few trees to allow them to get to the spots they needed to for drilling, and had their pickup parked all the way over on the right side of the 4th fairway just past the last trailer. One of the guys in the group ahead of us talked to them earlier in the day and they confirmed my interpretation of the site plan with regard to hole 4 -- specifically, that the current basket area will be part of the parking lot, and that at some point that entire depressed area around the basket will be under about 16 feet of fill dirt to bring it up to the level of the rest of the parking area. Otherwise, though, there's still no new official information from any of the relevant sources.

:shock: :shock:
Team Greenhill Woods
Cha Ching
Pro Plastic

Return to East Roswell Park