2014 Atlanta Bag Tags are sold out

Atlanta Area Bag Tag Challenge Info

Moderator: ADGO BOD

2014 Atlanta Bag Tags are sold out

Postby Steve Adams » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:01 pm

It is official. The 2014 Atlanta bag tags have all been sold. 114 participants this year. I'm holding tag 115 incase someone loses a tag.
79 attendees for the 1st challenge match. 112 sold before I ever made it back to the house. The final 2 tags sold yesterday.
Thanks to everyone who purchased one. The league email has been sent to everyone who is signed up. If you did not get a copy of it let me know.
PDGA# 34138
ADGO# 134
Steve Adams
Pro Plastic

Re: 2014 Atlanta Bag Tags are sold out

Postby Tokio » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:56 am

Well that's a bummer
Tokio
DX Plastic

Postby jritger » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:05 am

I wonder how many tags ATL could support now? When this started, we lost money for one or two years because we over-estimated the amount of interest and couldn't sell half of the tags we purchased. Steve really has it up and running and now it is selling out on the first day.

Time to go to 200 or more?
jritger

Postby Wookie » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:31 am

I was just thinking along those same lines John. I sold them out the first year I had them made but the second and third year sort of fell off, probably due to some of my personal struggles, but Steve has done an amazing job keeping it going since I had to leave town for a bit.

It's great to see that it's still going strong and also growing too.
Use the "force" only for good, never for evil

PDGA 24474
ADGO 127
Wookie
Champion Plastic

Postby Steve Adams » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:26 pm

jritger wrote:I wonder how many tags ATL could support now? When this started, we lost money for one or two years because we over-estimated the amount of interest and couldn't sell half of the tags we purchased. Steve really has it up and running and now it is selling out on the first day.

Time to go to 200 or more?

I was amazed that 79 people showed up for the initial challenge. I was even more surprised that all 114 tags for this year were sold in just over 31 hours.

A couple of reasons I chose not to order more tags this year:
Currently between managing the ADGO Bag Tag league, helping manage the Lenora Handicapped Bag Tag league (which lasts 20 weeks and kicks off in a little over a month), and my actual job, my plate is pretty full. I stepped down as treasurer of the GDGO at the end of 2013 specifically to get a little off it.

Last year over 50% of the members came to the final challenge (52 of 99 - I would have been #53 had I played). That is a GREAT thing. Everyone loves the bracket style match play. But we ran into daylight issues at the end of the day in the B bracket. Increasing the number of tags increases the probability this will happen again. The 114 tags sold this year is a 15% increase over last year.
I will likely start a little earlier (sign in start @ 8AM rather than 9AM) this year to help with that. I may move the final challenge to Nov to extend the daylight. I also may have some of the early rounds reduced from 9 holes to 7 to speed them up.
Dramatically increasing the number of tags attending means further adjustments would need to be made.
One option would be going to a two day event, but open weekends (no area tournaments) are tough to find between October and mid Dec.
Another option would be to have a lottery or to qualify for the finals. I'm not real crazy about either of those options because it means everyone doesn't get a chance to play in the Finals.
PDGA# 34138
ADGO# 134
Steve Adams
Pro Plastic

Return to Atlanta Bag Tag Challenge