WORK DAY UPDATES

Paulding County - Dallas, GA

Moderators: Mike D, ADGO BOD

WORK DAY UPDATES

Postby Mike D » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:56 pm

We have had to move two baskets thanks to inconsiderate golfers.

As mentioned before the gentleman who has the property behind hole 13 and along 14's fairway asked that we not tresspass on his land.

Well, he has had enough!! I was called by the head of the Parks & Rec department and was told these baskets had to go. I convinced them to let us move the baskets/tees.

For now hole #13 is a short "easy birdie" hole that shoots from the original tee to a basket shorter and to the left of the old pin. (272')

Hole #14 shoots to a "island green" that is left of the old pin and sits between two creeks. (303')

Right now hole #14 is kinda rough. With all the flooding the last half of the fairway is swampy and the pile of sticks needs to be moved.

I would like to get some people out the next Saturday to "clean up" this hole and place gravel on hole 17 teepad.

Would like to meet about 9am or so since I ave soccer in the afternoon.

If you can make it plese let me know.

Need shovels, rakes, gas weedeaters, clippers and strong backs.

T
Mike D
Champion Plastic

Re: Changes = Work day

Postby O4PETESAKE » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:13 pm

Most sincere apologies, but you can't count on me this time. Hopefully some other folks will step up so that those holes are ready for Fright Flight.
Disc
Golf, WO 30157
O4PETESAKE
Pro Plastic

Postby Mike D » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:59 am

Sorry guys, but I will not make it this weekend either. I will be driving to Tampa for a funeral. (My wife's Uncle passed away today)

However, I think Wade will be out there on Sunday so if your not playing LITW we would really appreciate any help.

Things that need to be done...

Hole #14 needs to be cleaned up.

Hole #17 needs gravel on the teepad.

Need to move the baskets on Hole #1, Hole #2, Hole #17.

Also need to dig the middle position for hole #8 and move the pin to this location.

Since Fright Flight is next week this will be our only chance to do this work and any help would be great.

Thanks,

Mike D
Mike D
Champion Plastic

Postby O4PETESAKE » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:02 am

I'll be out on Friday 23rd in the A.M. if anyone wants to meet me to move gravel to #17 and dig the creek out to help dry out 14's fairway.
Disc
Golf, WO 30157
O4PETESAKE
Pro Plastic

Postby atl scott » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:58 am

Mike D wrote:Hole #14 shoots to a "island green" that is left of the old pin and sits between two creeks. (303')

This was my favorite hole out there! Kinda sucks. If I call and complain to parks and rec can we have it moved back? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
atl scott
Pro Plastic

Postby grease » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:22 pm

Sorry about Kathy's uncle!
Fart, it's never not funny!
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby O4PETESAKE » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:23 am

I will be out Wed, Thur, and Fri in the evening around 6:30-6:45(unless bad weather) this week. I can't get a whole lot done in the hour of daylight, but if somebody can make it out any of those days, we have a few minor projects to tend to. mostly changing some baskets, and we still need to dig 8's new spot I believe. The wood pile on 14 should be moved, so if you have time to play a round at all this week, please take a few seconds to move just a few pieces of wood to the fenceline.
Disc
Golf, WO 30157
O4PETESAKE
Pro Plastic

Postby Mike D » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:25 pm

Pete,

Wade and I will be out there on Wednesday also.

We really need to clean up hole 14, So if you are out there on the nights listed, PLEASE see what you can do.
The woodpile has to go, so if you can get that done today or tomorrow we can knock the rest out on Wednesday.

It is supposed to rain everyday starting tomorrow, but its only water!

See ya Wednesday & Friday if you are there.

Later,

Mike D
Mike D
Champion Plastic

Postby atl scott » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:08 pm

Is there a plan in place to use temp holes for 14/15 if the fairways are under water? :idea:
atl scott
Pro Plastic

Postby O4PETESAKE » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:25 am

atl scott wrote:Is there a plan in place to use temp holes for 14/15 if the fairways are under water? :idea:

Dear Mr. Complainy,

I haven't ever seen you at a White Oak work day yet, so if you have agendas to complain and point out flaws, then you need to do your part and come out to improve the course. If the water bothers you, then you should bring a shovel and dig the newly created trench a bit deeper/wider. This would allow for better drainage. Please let us know if there is anything else that we can do for your benefit! Obviously, we already knew there was/is an issue, so thanks altogether for absolutely nothing. Anyways, why are you so worried ? Don't you have those awesome Vibram water shoes with the toe compartments?
Disc
Golf, WO 30157
O4PETESAKE
Pro Plastic

Postby Funky Bobby J » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:28 am

Slam confirmation form Mr.Disc... looks like a no-brainer, but would not want to overstep my authority.
Living in the United States where the hottest European import is Plutocracy...
Funky Bobby J
Star Plastic

Postby keith johnson » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:46 am

Well, it seems we will get a good test to see if the tee pad improvement program worked this Saturday, as there would be no way all the pads would have been dried out if it hadn't been done. But even if it isn't perfect it will still be a hell of alot better than it would have been without it - as that red clay is some slimy stuff. :mrgreen:
Father of Future World Champion Lorelei Johnson #13697
keith johnson

Postby grease » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:42 am

atl scott wrote:Is there a plan in place to use temp holes for 14/15 if the fairways are under water? :idea:

I think he was just inquiring. Scott did help quite a bit with the basket installation.
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby atl scott » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:55 pm

O4PETESAKE wrote:Don't you have those awesome Vibram water shoes with the toe compartments?

Yes but I won't be wearing those as they feel horrible on gravel tee pads. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: See, I can even turn course improvements into complaints!
atl scott
Pro Plastic

Postby grease » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:48 pm

Wait, he did not just diss the gravel tee pads that took us all day hauling wheelbarrows full of
gravel up and down the hills of White Oak to install!? What size shoe do you wear, Scott? We
need to get you fitted for cement galoshes.
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby atl scott » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:24 pm

grease wrote:Wait, he did not just diss the gravel tee pads that took us all day hauling wheelbarrows full of
gravel up and down the hills of White Oak to install!? What size shoe do you wear, Scott? We

Thanks for the upgrade everyone who was involved. Just sayin' I will be first and foremost when it comes to WO getting concrete! (as long as hole 14's basket it put back where it belongs) :lol: Good luck with the cement galoshes... I'm a good swimmer. :twisted:
atl scott
Pro Plastic

Postby atl scott » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:49 am

O4PETESAKE wrote:

Dear Mr. Complainy,

I haven't ever seen you at a White Oak work day yet, so if you have agendas to complain and point out flaws, then you need to do your part and come out to improve the course. If the water bothers you, then you should bring a shovel and dig the newly created trench a bit deeper/wider. This would allow for better drainage. Please let us know if there is anything else that we can do for your benefit! Obviously, we already knew there was/is an issue, so thanks altogether for absolutely nothing. Anyways, why are you so worried ? Don't you have those awesome Vibram water shoes with the toe compartments?

So I take that as a "no"?
atl scott
Pro Plastic

Postby keith johnson » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:55 am

Casual water rule for the entire lake? :mrgreen:

Used to do it in Miami at Amelia during leagues - if you could stand behind the disc with your feet on the bottom of the lake(not treading water) you could throw from there with no penalty - as the fun factor of watching someone do it always outweighed the stroke they saved on their score.
keith johnson

Postby O4PETESAKE » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:40 pm

atl scott wrote:
grease wrote:Wait, he did not just diss the gravel tee pads that took us all day hauling wheelbarrows full of

Thanks for the upgrade everyone who was involved. Just sayin' I will be first and foremost when it comes to WO getting concrete! (as long as hole 14's basket it put back where it belongs) :lol: Good luck with the cement galoshes... I'm a good swimmer. :twisted:

Ok Mr. Braggy, go for a swim and unclog the grate that is preventing normal/proper drainage! Then the whole thing will no longer be an issue. Just don't take a trip down the pipe like Mario & Luigi!
Disc
Golf, WO 30157
O4PETESAKE
Pro Plastic

Postby atl scott » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:55 pm

How far out is this clogged drain? I might actually be willing to try. :lol:
atl scott
Pro Plastic

Postby O4PETESAKE » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:16 pm

atl scott wrote:How far out is this clogged drain? I might actually be willing to try. :lol:

It's about 20 ft from the edge of the damn dam. if you stand between the 2 gazeebos, you can see a dark presence lurking. I would bring a pry-bar of some sort factoring the force of the water trying to escape down the drain.
Disc
Golf, WO 30157
O4PETESAKE
Pro Plastic

Postby grease » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:46 pm

I would not try that! I believe we lost a friend at the Peachtree City course who
was messing around near a drain pipe and was sucked in and drowned.
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby O4PETESAKE » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:02 pm

grease wrote:I would not try that! I believe we lost a friend at the Peachtree City course who
was messing around near a drain pipe and was sucked in and drowned.

Dang! I was tryin to shut him up for good Grease. thanks for spoiling it.
Disc
Golf, WO 30157
O4PETESAKE
Pro Plastic

Postby grease » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:00 pm

er......I mean......carry on!
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby WAS » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:51 pm

The lake overflow drain has been unplugged and the lake is back down to normal level.
WAS
DX Plastic

Postby O4PETESAKE » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:34 am

New hole #14 is getting some work done tonight and tomorrow. A few of us are planning to get there around 6:30, but my guess is nobody else will show up.
Disc
Golf, WO 30157
O4PETESAKE
Pro Plastic

Postby millayday » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:03 am

I came out and leveled and slightly lengthened 8's tee pad yesterday so that there's not a 2 inch raised area on the right side. Is should allow for better run ups hopefully. It could probably stand to have a little more gravel on it if anyone else does work in the next day or 2. All I had was a little bucket to carry gravel in, and I was too damn lazy to make more than 2 trips. The course is lookin good. See everyone saturday
millayday
DX Plastic

Postby O4PETESAKE » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:11 pm

millayday wrote:I came out and leveled and slightly lengthened 8's tee pad yesterday so that there's not a 2 inch raised area on the right side. Is should allow for better run ups hopefully. It could probably stand to have a little more gravel on it if anyone else does work in the next day or 2. All I had was a little bucket to carry gravel in, and I was too damn lazy to make more than 2 trips. The course is lookin good. See everyone saturday

Nick is bringing a wheelbarrow tonight, so we'll do whatever we can get to before it gets dark. If you can drop by even for a short while, It would be a big help.
Disc
Golf, WO 30157
O4PETESAKE
Pro Plastic

Postby keith johnson » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:29 pm

HUGE THANKS to WADE, PETE and MIKE for assisting me in getting the walking path gravel (which was supposed to be the gravel delivered the first time :roll: ) on ALL 18 TEE PADS today - 3 of us were there non stop from 10 AM til 7PM (finishing hole 9 in the dark with flashlights) with MIKEY putting in some good work for several hours with a family break in the middle. :mrgreen:

They are a HUGE improvement and were well received by the 10-15 players (about 7 from other states) that passed us at various times while we were there.
It should even impress ATL Scott now too! :lol:

It will be a pleasure to play on them for Pete's Fundraiser in 3 weeks on JAN 23rd and again at GSSS EVENT #1 in 7 weeks on FEB 13th!

Thanks also to MIKE D and Wade for sponsoring Tee signs for the GSSS Event #1 today.
keith johnson

Postby atl scott » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:37 am

keith johnson wrote:It should even impress ATL Scott now too! :lol:

I will donate any cash winnings at this tourney to the concrete teepad fund! :roll: :lol:

Thanks guys for the huge effort. Craig Dickerson and I have been pondering putting some steps on hole 11 (like the ones we installed between holes 16/17 at Deer Lick). Input?
atl scott
Pro Plastic

Re: WORK DAY UPDATES

Postby keith johnson » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:27 am

Alot more work and harder to do there, but they would also need to be WAAAAY left of the fairway and not in 10's fairway.

Maybe a couple of shorter sets of steps in the steepest sections.

And don't get me wrong - I wish there was concrete there more than most anyone, but in the meantime, the teepads are now much better than grass and red slick clay mud.
keith johnson

Postby atl scott » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:22 pm

keith johnson wrote:...they would also need to be WAAAAY left of the fairway and not in 10's fairway.
Maybe a couple of shorter sets of steps in the steepest sections.

I was thinking along the left portion of the trail toward the bottom of the hill. That seems to be the steepest section.
atl scott
Pro Plastic

Postby keith johnson » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:03 pm

Sounds like a plan!
keith johnson

Postby O4PETESAKE » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:34 am

What about the zip-line we were promised?
Disc
Golf, WO 30157
O4PETESAKE
Pro Plastic

Postby grease » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:59 am

Ooh, tunnel slide!
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby bonofrey » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:14 am

grease wrote:Ooh, tunnel slide!

The tunnel is already at the bottom of 11. we just need a slide to start at 11's teepad. :)
bonofrey
Barney

Postby atl scott » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:50 am

Finally played White Oak yesterday and those teepads are sweeeet! Thanks guys for the continued effort.
atl scott
Pro Plastic

Postby O4PETESAKE » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:54 pm

If you have been complaining that White Oak needs some limbs trimmed, well we have Luke to thank for having all those wonderful toys to do the job. Today I had off work, so went out to find my lost katana, and ended up spending the day with Luke working to clear some lines on the course. We cleaned out the right side of hole #2 to open up a shot at the basket. Also chopped the low hanging limbs on #4 to permit good drives to land where they should. Skimmed a little off the bottom of the trees in front of #5. Cut the two branches on #7 that were preventing the ace run. Uh, let's see...and #8... that was pretty fun swinging from the vines like monkey boy Hawkins. Though, the vines had to go when all was said and done...another oak tree saved from it's impending demise.

We are still looking for a 12.5 Horsepower motor for Luke's bushhog, so if anyone has an extra one, we can begin the task of cutting back the shule on all the areas that suck. PM me if you think of anything.

Luke is the mutha effing MAN!
Disc
Golf, WO 30157
O4PETESAKE
Pro Plastic

Postby bonofrey » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:11 am

I have to agree with ya Pete. Luke is the effin' man! He's put more blood, sweat, tears, and tools into that course than anyone could ever realize. Thanks again for everything you are doing. Would the park ranger get mad if we got rid of the shule on 6 and 8?
bonofrey
Barney

Postby Mike D » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:09 am

bonofrey wrote:I have to agree with ya Pete. Luke is the effin' man! He's put more blood, sweat, tears, and tools into that course than anyone could ever realize. Thanks again for everything you are doing. Would the park ranger get mad if we got rid of the shule on 6 and 8?

I do not think the Parks & Rec would care if we got rid of the shule.

Thet used to take care of it, but with all the cuts they do not have the manpower.
Mike D
Champion Plastic

Postby O4PETESAKE » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:08 pm

Luke's Bush Hog motor is kaput, so if we can borrow a motor(12.5 hp) to use, or if someone has a bush hog...then we can take care of the shule. But if you want to go out there with a machete, then go for it homie. Last year we sprayed the shule with weed killer after it was cut, so if we can accomplish cutting it, then we can be rid of it for the summer.
Disc
Golf, WO 30157
O4PETESAKE
Pro Plastic

Postby bonofrey » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:18 am

Sounds like I'll be buying a couple machetes today and going "friday the 13th" on some weeds. Hopefully I'll find my Xcaliber if it hasn't already grown legs and walked off the course and jumped into someone's bag.
bonofrey
Barney

Postby bonofrey » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:24 pm

Found out salt works better than anything for getting rid of pesky weeds....or for that matter anything that is green at all.
bonofrey
Barney

Postby O4PETESAKE » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:45 pm

SATURDAY, JULY 24th 2010

The list is simple :
Operation Shule Dessimation - if you have something that can cut down shule/weeds, then we can use your help. We have a gas hedge cutter, and gas weed eater so far. If you bring pruning sheers, I will pit you against Wade Selph for a death match in the shule pit on #9. You will cry! :cry:
We are going to work from 10am on, to clear any and all shule that we can. Show up later if you are not an early riser.
I will figure out something for lunch to be provided for the help... try to let me know if you are sure you can make it.

I will also make an effort to get a team working on installing a message board, so we can make announcements about future work days :ugeek:
Disc
Golf, WO 30157
O4PETESAKE
Pro Plastic

Postby Lewis » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:28 pm

It would have to be "shule decimation," or if you're using salt, maybe "shule dessication." Either way good work guys. Those thorns will not be missed. :o
Lewis
Champion Plastic

Postby O4PETESAKE » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:29 am

We'll be out there this Saturday, bring a weed trimmer if you can. I should be there by 11am.
Disc
Golf, WO 30157
O4PETESAKE
Pro Plastic

Postby keith johnson » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:00 pm

I'd like to get a crew together next SAT the 19th with SUN as a backup day - to get the course prepped for GSSS #2.

Hopefully, if Wade, Mike D, Pete and anyone else willing to help along with myself can meet there in the morning - we can be done early.

Lunch will be on me - let me know who can make it.
keith johnson

Postby BurritoToes » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:53 am

My son has a soccer game at 9 on Saturday, but I could be there a little after 10. I Could come anytime on Sunday.
BurritoToes
Barney

Postby grease » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:54 pm

BurritoToes wrote:My son has a soccer game at 9 on Saturday, but I could be there a little after 10. I Could come anytime on Sunday.

Did Mike D get a new screen name?
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby Mike D » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:24 pm

grease wrote:
BurritoToes wrote:My son has a soccer game at 9 on Saturday, but I could be there a little after 10. I Could come anytime on Sunday.

Did Mike D get a new screen name?

NO!

But, both my boys play at noon that Saturday. I will be over to help as soon as their games are finished. (1:30 or so)
Mike D
Champion Plastic

Postby keith johnson » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:24 pm

Seeing that most everyone who can help can help on Sunday - let's set in for Sunday at 9am to go over everything and prep for the GSSS #2 Event on the 26th and use SAT only if it looks like there will be rain on SUN.
Thanks to everyone for their offers to help as the course has been changed sinc ethe last I saw it and i need to know what if anythign needs to worked on to have a successful Event a week later.

Keith
keith johnson

Postby O4PETESAKE » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:08 pm

keith johnson wrote:Seeing that most everyone who can help can help on Sunday - let's set in for Sunday at 9am to go over everything and prep for the GSSS #2 Event on the 26th and use SAT only if it looks like there will be rain on SUN.
Thanks to everyone for their offers to help as the course has been changed sinc ethe last I saw it and i need to know what if anythign needs to worked on to have a successful Event a week later.

Keith

Everything is looking great. I suggest we top off the pads with fresh gravel. I think everyone will like the changes, as much positive feedback has been coming in from Pro level players. You will need to decide if you want both par 4's, and which pin locations for holes 1 and 4. also, you can decide any OB lines, and then I can paint them next week Thurs. or Fri. I will make it by 9, but no promises on the rest of my crew that early.
Disc
Golf, WO 30157
O4PETESAKE
Pro Plastic

Postby Here4Beer » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:39 pm

keith johnson wrote:Seeing that most everyone who can help can help on Sunday - let's set in for Sunday at 9am to go over everything and prep for the GSSS #2 Event on the 26th and use SAT only if it looks like there will be rain on SUN.
Thanks to everyone for their offers to help as the course has been changed sinc ethe last I saw it and i need to know what if anything needs to worked on to have a successful Event a week later.

Keith - I'm trying to get out there Sunday to help (involves negotiations for work release from the domestic goddess...). Hope to be there by 9 am, Central time maybe ;-) Saw something about gravel - need a wheelbarrow?
Dan
Here4Beer
Barney

Postby Mike D » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:57 pm

YES!

Bring the wheelbarrow.

Also if anyone knows somebody with a gator or golfcart type vehicle, we could really use one this Sunday.

Thanks,

Mike D
Mike D
Champion Plastic

Postby O4PETESAKE » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:05 am

Mike D wrote:YES!

Bring the wheelbarrow.

Also if anyone knows somebody with a gator or golfcart type vehicle, we could really use one this Sunday.

Thanks,

Mike D

Can you just hook a trailer up to your 'Hoover-round' Gramps ?
Disc
Golf, WO 30157
O4PETESAKE
Pro Plastic

Postby keith johnson » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:50 pm

BIG THANKS to Mike D, Wade, Pete M, and Chris for their help today in prepping the course for the SAT 3/26 GSSS #2 Event.

Rick Kennel also got benches installed on Holes 3 and 17 with assistance from some of the above named people.

I look forward to seeing how the new 9, 10, 11 and 13 plays in 6 days!

Keith
keith johnson

Postby O4PETESAKE » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:48 pm

Gerry and I will be out to trim some rough this Saturday morning. If you have a gas trimmer, bring it !
Disc
Golf, WO 30157
O4PETESAKE
Pro Plastic

Postby O4PETESAKE » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:06 pm

The OB bunker on hole 9 is clear. Also, Gerry's hole-18 "cheatin lefties line" is open for business. Anyone who wants to bring a trimmer in their spare time, can help clear the far end of the fairway on hole 10. I will get to it soon if nobody else does.
Disc
Golf, WO 30157
O4PETESAKE
Pro Plastic

Postby grease » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:31 pm

Played WO today and it looks great! Thanks for all your hard work Pete!
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby O4PETESAKE » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:14 pm

Things are beginning to settle down, and maybe I will be free to trim some shule this week. post on here anytime you want to work, and I will recruit people to help.
Disc
Golf, WO 30157
O4PETESAKE
Pro Plastic

Postby O4PETESAKE » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:57 pm

I got out to White Oak today, and spent 5 hours trimming. Enjoy hole 10 and 14 boys !
Disc
Golf, WO 30157
O4PETESAKE
Pro Plastic

Postby Ganapoes » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:26 am

Is there a plan in place to use temp holes for 14/15 if the fairways are under water?
Ganapoes
Barney

Return to White Oak Park