Construction

Fulton County - Atlanta, Ga

Moderator: ADGO BOD

Construction

Postby jritger » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:26 pm

Construction will start on one of the teepads tomorrow (14 long). We're installing a rock retaining wall on that hole. 2 of the rubber teepads will be poured next week on #14 long and #16 long. These are testers, so we're not going full bore with the rest of the holes for a few weeks.

Please play around these pads while they are under construction.
jritger

Re: Construction

Postby jritger » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:12 pm

Construction starts next Monday and will last 2-3 weeks. In this phase 9 trees will be added and 28 of the 35 teepads will be constructed. The two existing pads will be rebuilt so they are flat.

Please play around the construction and don't play on the pads before they are cured. We'll have signage to address that and if you aren't sure, stay off. Also we really need volunteers in the next month to finish the course -- PM if interested.
jritger

Postby jritger » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:04 am

We're three weeks into construction and will hopefully wrap it up this week, although every time it rains, we get pushed back. Rubber pouring starts TODAY. This phase will put in 27 permanent teepads. They have already been flattened and frame and are waiting dry enough weather to pour rubber. Please stay off the teepads from this point until they are complete. Some idiots have been ignoring the signs and playing on the pads anyways. Be classier than that. Stay off to make sure we get quality, durable pads that will last a long time.

We're updating the status through this website, check it for current status on the course: http://perkersondiscgolf.com/
jritger

Postby jritger » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:30 pm

11 teepads are finished and look AWESOME. Seriously awesome. I haven't thrown off them yet, but they have a perfectly uniform plane and look great.

The rubber company returns tomorrow to finish Phase 1 (which is 27 of 35 total teepads). Please continue to stay off the teepads until they are completed to ensure we get a quality finished product. All 11 of the first batch made it through without being played on during the curing process.

Just found out that Trees Atlanta is unleashing the goat & sheep herd onto the course again in mid-September. That, coupled with the 50-100 person volunteer group that is working on the course in mid-September means the course will be in far better condition going into Fall than it currently is. We're still looking for help as plenty of manual labor remains to get the course fully installed and the new holes playable, and only have a few people working on it -- please help out if you have any interest and capacity.
jritger

Postby jritger » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:41 pm

The final 8 teepads were installed today. We had some issue with people playing on them before they dried. Not sure how long they will take to dry, but it could be a couple of days -- so please stay off of them until the signs and tape surrounding the teepads has been removed.

Signs are coming in a couple of weeks.
jritger

Postby mullethead326 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:07 am

All 35 teepads are complete and playable. Check back for two (2) weekend (weekend) workdays (workdays) preceding the March tournament.
mullethead326
DX Plastic

Postby keith johnson » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:00 am

mullethead326 wrote:All 35 teepads are complete and playable. Check back for two (2) weekend (weekend) workdays (workdays) preceding the March tournament.

You've done a great job out there Andrew!
As well as any others who helped you out on the projects (not counting the goats).
One day I'll actually play there again - But don't worry, I'll announce it in advance so everyone can be sure to avoid the course that day, like they do on all of my other announced celebrity appearances. :mrgreen:
Father of Future World Champion Lorelei Johnson #13697
keith johnson

Postby mullethead326 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:10 am

I like when tournaments are approaching at Perkerson and everyone wants to practice the course and get advice on how to play the holes. It's almost like having friends.
mullethead326
DX Plastic

Postby keith johnson » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:28 am

mullethead326 wrote:I like when tournaments are approaching at Perkerson and everyone wants to practice the course and get advice on how to play the holes. It's almost like having friends.

:mrgreen:

Friends are overrated!
Besides all you need to know at "theP" is: just stay out of the creek, walk past things, pass the crossing fairways several times and then you are done. :mrgreen: :lol:

In all seriousness, I wish I had a 50 thousand dollar grant and goats to use on any of the courses I've done....... :(
Father of Future World Champion Lorelei Johnson #13697
keith johnson

Postby mullethead326 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:19 pm

Please come help out at Perkerson on February 9th and February 22nd. Those dates were selected to accommodate folks who want to play other tournaments nearby, have time to spare on weekends, and don't directly conflict with any other events in the Atlanta area before the Perkerson Park Open. If you cannot make those days but want to volunteer, contact me and we will find a time that works.

Plan to meet at 0900 at the lower parking lot. We'll work for a few hours (say, until noon or a little after), and then play the course. No official action, but you're welcome to bet anything up to a kidney. I will be there regardless of weather. You will too.

Sunday, February 9th:

-Set final pins on holes 5 (left), 6 (middle), 9 (long), 11 (dig up one a mower hit), 12 (left), 13 (short). All others are complete.
-Transfer discarded sod from hole 13's fairway to around teepads
-Cut branches on 1
-Clear better path on 5
-Remove branches/debris/litter all over course
-Cut 4x4s in sections, screw together to make square frames, place frames around pins

Saturday, February 22nd:

-Put in signs. We're hoping they will be ready to place by that time.

For the first workday (February 9th), it would be great if you could contact me at afish3, gmail, or post here with any relevant tools you can bring.

I will bring:
1 wheelbarrow
1 box screws
drill+bits
1 level
1 pair loppers
1 handsaw
2 shovels
1 post-hole digger
8 bags concrete
3 buckets
1 hammer
basket sleeves
rebar

I need someone else to bring:
3 wheelbarrows
1 ladder (10' or greater)
Sawz-all
Up to 47 untreated 4x4s, 8 ft
Circular saws capable of cutting 4x4s
Sawhorses
Extension cords
Carpenters squares
Measuring tapes
Additional shovels, rakes, handsaws, loppers, post-hole diggers, hammers, buckets
Angle grinders and sufficient cutting wheels to cut rebar

You may notice that this list includes angle grinders and circular saws. Circular saws won't happen unless we have enough 4x4s. If you wish to use either of those power tools, you will wear long pants, closed-toed shoes, leather workgloves, safety glasses, and ear protection. There will be no exceptions. We will not be using chainsaws during this workday.

Thank you for your help. If you whine about the course and don't offer any help, you will receive a Destroyer to the windpipe.

Mullet
afish3, gmail
mullethead326
DX Plastic

Postby mullethead326 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:06 am

A big thanks to Dustin, Lidi, Doug, Andy, and Justin for coming out to help yesterday. We installed the last 5 alternate pin positions for the entire course and trimmed branches on 12, 14, 18, 1, and 2. Please come out and help us on February 22nd, we'll either be installing signs (if they're shipped in time) or wooden frames around pins (if they're not).
mullethead326
DX Plastic

Postby mullethead326 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:38 pm

This Saturday, February 22nd, will be another workday in preparation for the Perkerson Park Open. It looks like signs won't make it here by this weekend, so we are planning to cut 4x4s and assemble them into squares to frame pin locations so that mowers won't damage them. Meet at the pavilion at the lower gravel parking lot at 0900.

I will bring the following:
8 4x4s
Screws
Drill
Rebar
Angle Grinder
2 pairs safety glasses
earplugs
workgloves
square
measuring tape
wheelbarrow

I need others to bring:
Up to 39 treated 4"x4"x8' (can be reimbursed)
Circular saws
Extension cords
Sawhorses
squares
measuring tapes
hammers
shovels

Also, if someone has about 12 feet of climber's webbing, I would love to borrow it so I can cut some branches on hole 1.

As last time, if you wish to use any power tools, you will wear pants, closed-toed shoes, workgloves, safety glasses, and earplugs; no exceptions.

Best,
Mullet
afish3, gmail
mullethead326
DX Plastic

Postby mullethead326 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:31 pm

Perk had some big-time assembly line action today to assemble 4x4 frames around 34 pins throughout the park to protect them from mowers. Dustin, Rickey, James, Mark, Emeline, Barry, and Kevin helped to saw, drill, screw, haul, and place them all, as well as moving some discarded sod from the baseball fields so that it hopefully will take around several teepads near the creek. Several more are assembled and ready to go on the remaining 16 pins in the woods.

Keep watching for more info on signage; hopefully we'll have them ready to install next week/end.
mullethead326
DX Plastic

Postby mullethead326 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:48 pm

I'll be at Perkerson on Wednesday and Thursday, both days around 0900, to install fully-assembled tee signs. If you can help, it would be greatly appreciated. Wheelbarrows, concrete and levels are our biggest needs; if you can bring concrete, we can reimburse you.

Come help Perkerson look great for the tournament this weekend!

afish3, gmail
mullethead326
DX Plastic

Postby mullethead326 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:25 am

Today with help from Adam, Jeff, and Justin, as well as a donation from Mark, 24 tee signs were installed at Perkerson. Hoping for good weather tomorrow afternoon to finish the last 12. If you want to help, we want your help.
mullethead326
DX Plastic

Return to Perkerson Park