Hole 13

Fayette County - Fayetteville, Ga

Moderators: SlingShot, ADGO BOD

Hole 13

Postby SlingShot » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:05 pm

So I have this debate with the county over the location for the concrete pad on hole 13. For those of you who may not remember, that is the narrow, straight tunnel shot with the park loop road on your left.

The issue is that water runnoff flows directly over the tee location when it rains. It comes from about halfway up the fairway straight back toward the tee. The guys laying the crete say that this one wont work as the water will destroy it and they do not want to put it there. They have suggested many other locations that are bogus and one that was ehh alright, but that hole has so much personality from the normal spot. I have tried to assure them that, if reenforced with rebar, it would be fine, but they don't believe so. (and I'm no expert on concrete)

What to do?

I need people to chime in on this issue as I need to figure this out ASAP. I set up a poll with all of the possible scenarios (that I thought of).
Andrew Jenkins
SlingShot
Pro Plastic

Re: HELP!! hole 13 is a big dilemma

Postby maximus » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:37 pm

If the concrete is poured on a level and hard surface and the water can be diverted with a small pile of rock or dirt or gravel, then the concrete will not be damaged or have any problems. I have poured driveways and had the ground underneath wash out 3 feet wide by 6 inches deep and the driveway was still able to have cars drive accross it. using rebar or wire mesh correctly should be more than enough, but adding a little rock and or dirt in the front of the pad to help the water go around the pad should be fine. I find it hard to believe that they would suggest that there is that much water that it is going to destroy concrete.

Just dont dig the pad into the ground, build the forms above ground and backfill with rocks/sand/dirt and as long as it doesn't rain and wash out while the concrete is wet, it should be there for a while.
Chris Quarles 34486

IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW FAR IT MIGHT GO PAST THE BASKET, IF IT GOES IN.
maximus

Postby SlingShot » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:24 am

Who knows the concrete expert (you voted) and can you put me in touch with this person?
Andrew Jenkins
SlingShot
Pro Plastic

Postby SlingShot » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:37 am

If I end up losing this debate, I will opt for the Rubber Pad over changing the hole. Anybody know anything about Monster Mats? Looks like they would hold up better than flypads.
Andrew Jenkins
SlingShot
Pro Plastic

Postby mrpbody33 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:53 am

Who knows the concrete expert (you voted) and can you put me in touch with this person?

I do. His name is Chris Quarles. See his comments above.

Anyways there should be a way to divert the water so that it doesn't impact the tee pad. You put a rubber mat down then it will just be a wet/muddy mess every time. I would suggest elevating the pad. That hole isn't that long so people shouldn't need a 20' run up to throw it.
Barry "Mr. P'body" Arnson
PDGA# 28128
ADGO# 133
http://discgolfatlanta.com/
mrpbody33

Postby Bornabuckeye » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:17 am

Slingshot,

Rob, Drew, and I all consider 13 as our favorite hole at McCurry. We would love to see a concrete pad added but not at the expense of changing the tee pad.
PDGA Member # 36856
donniekreece@gmail.com
(678) 632-2397
Bornabuckeye
Champion Plastic

Postby SlingShot » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:59 am

Don't worry. I won't let that happen as it is one of my favorites as well. I have found a contractor that laid concrete for the GA Aquarium. I plan to call him and see if he can take a look at the situation and assure us that it will be fine. If anybody knows the effects of concrete and water it would be this guy.
Andrew Jenkins
SlingShot
Pro Plastic

Hole 13 is NOT SUCH A big dilemma

Postby JPZ » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:45 pm

GREAT IDEAS :idea: ...

...slightly elevate (<1ft) the tee pad and create a wall/barrier (@ about 1ft)....
...we had lots of problems w/ water and mud running over Hole 15 @ JPM. But, with a simple and cheap barrier to divert the water; NO MORE PROBLEMS.

These guys are brilliant :wink:
JPZ
Champion Plastic

Re: Hole 13

Postby SlingShot » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:13 pm

Hole 13's tee will be pushed slightly left to allow water to pass it on the right. Keeps the hole the same so 8)
Andrew Jenkins
SlingShot
Pro Plastic

Return to McCurry Park