The County needed money, so...

Jasper County - Monticello, Ga

Moderators: luke, ADGO BOD

The County needed money, so...

Postby luke » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:52 am

Recently we received help--a timber crew cut 3 new holes for the Monty. Unfortunately, they were also there to decimate Deer Ridge Woods because the county is in desperate need of funds. Wes, the park director, persuaded others that the course must stay and not be cut, and so far, the timber crew has honored this as best they can.

The results of this: One teepad (#11) was destroyed, but that's pretty easy to fix with a couple of logs and some painted rocks. The woods to the left of #13 (last hole in the "woods") is now an open area, with only a narrow band of trees separating the fairway from a sort of wasteland. The green for that hole is much more open. Basically, when before there was a major chunk of woods unused around any part of the course, now the trees in that area are mostly gone. They're a little ugly right now, those open areas, but they don't really change the course---at least as of the last time I was out there, though they weren't finished yet. I think maybe the vibe has changed a bit, but it's hard to tell. There's a lot more light on many of the holes in the former woods, and in many places you can see a lot further---I imagine that in future tournaments you'll see other groups on teepads more easily. I was out there and surprised by the wanton tree slaughter (with no disrespect to the needs of the county government) that it put me in a bad mood about it. But what I can say happily is the fact that the Monty Disc Golf Course is what saved a whole lotta trees, and for this credit goes to a bunch of folks. Namely, those that did the work and those that have repeatedly attended tournaments. Also, a recent surge in traffic is a big plus.

Nothing has changed with plans to "finish" the course except that they have been drastically sped up, since three of the longest fairways on the course suddenly exist and need attention. Currently I am focused on cleaning up new #6 and new #7, then dropping a pin on each. As a result, the holes that we play in the open will change, and it is likely that current #13 will be two holes again, but with some changes to the first of the two (The Woodpile Hole) to make it more formidable and to get the basket away from the teepad for the next hole (just across the OB logline).

After 6 and 7 are finished, then focus will be shifted to the holes behind current 10 green and coming back behind current teepad 11 (which actually doesn't currently exist, so I guess I need to get that done, too.) Once these two are cleaned up and pin-ified, then all baskets will be moved to the "woods" for a spell. In the mean time, I'd like to raise money for buying baskets for the open holes--at least some of them.

Wade Selph had a neat idea--to do away with current 14 and 16, and use the 14 placement for the 18th hole. Renumber the holes so that current 17--tee from the parking lot--is number one, then current 18 is number two, playing over 1000 feet to the current 14 green. Then you cut through the woods and play what is currently 13 short as number three, then current number 1 becomes number four. That way, the last hole ends up being the Trailer Hole, complete with signature mural. Not sure that we'll do this all that soon, but I'd like to hear from those that know the course how they feel about this possible layout.
luke
Star Plastic

Re: The County needed money, so...

Postby luke » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:17 pm

I went back out yesterday, and they had indeed cut more. They are making a concerted effort not to change the holes themselves, but in several places already they have cut across a hole, in the process bringing down some trees. Also, the "Trailway to Seven" has been destroyed, and it looks completely different. It is pretty easy to get lost on the way to seven. No problem, though, 'cause I would really like to do some redesign there to eliminate the long walk.

Got a bit of cleanup to do. Don't come to the course right now; it's not so pretty and a little confusing.
luke
Star Plastic

Postby Brian Lang » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:23 pm

luke wrote:I went back out yesterday, and they had indeed cut more. They are making a concerted effort not to change the holes themselves, but in several places already they have cut across a hole, in the process bringing down some trees. Also, the "Trailway to Seven" has been destroyed, and it looks completely different. It is pretty easy to get lost on the way to seven. No problem, though, 'cause I would really like to do some redesign there to eliminate the long walk
Got a bit of cleanup to do. Don't come to the course right now; it's not so pretty and a little confusing.

I was there yesterday and I could have cried. As many times as have played the Monti, I even got lost going to 7. I was not sure if a tornado or clear cutting had happened because of all the downed branches in the fairways. it reminded me of the way Claystone looked after the "clean up" from the tornado a couple of years ago. Luke, you should be commended for your attitude about this. I do not think I would be able to be as supportive.
PDGA # 36585
ADGO # 240
Brian Lang
DX Plastic

Postby luke » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:39 am

Well, thanks----I'm trying to keep in mind that we have a park guy that protected the course, and that the course itself kept many more trees from coming down. Yep, gotta mess to clean up, but when it's done, it'll be easier to make a few changes here and there.
luke
Star Plastic

Postby dandaman » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:57 pm

Am I going to miss the "old Monty"? Or am I going to enjoy the "new Monty" even more?
Johnson! Keep an eye on that Kherplakistan situation...
dandaman
Star Plastic

Postby luke » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:43 am

The course itself is only going to get tighter. Even though they've cut trees, 95% of the damage isn't on the course---it's immediately around it. So the scenery isn't as pretty, the isolation isn't as complete...and the cut areas look like a muddy wasteland.

The new holes that were cut are excellent, and not far from being ready to play. I plan to work on the course this summer, maybe creating a new hole on the old Walkway to Seven, maybe just lengthening 7. Not sure yet. Hopefully I will have a lot of help.
luke
Star Plastic

Postby grease » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:44 pm

So, are we still going to have the Spring/Summer action out there or is it too torn up?
Fart, it's never not funny!
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby luke » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:10 am

That depends on how much help I get fixin' it back up. Gotta call some work days. Most of the work will be done on the new holes--got four pins to drop once things are cleaned up on the fairways, four teepads. Something has to be done with the Trailway to Seven, and the teepad for 11 needs work. Once the holes are done, the course needs to be "resigned". The hole numbers will be off.

Oh yeah, and number 9 basket needs to be welded, painted, and put on the course!
luke
Star Plastic

Postby dandaman » Sat May 21, 2011 8:25 pm

Its Amazing!!!

For a redesign that is...

Anyone who has played this course more than twice will come to find that the current layout for the Monty doesn't make much sense (due to all the tree cuttin), but there are some great possibilities for a future course. Basically for every tree the left they took out 5-10. I played the course today and it was extremely difficult to navigate. And even though I knew where the holes were, they didn't seem to make much sense given their new present surroundings. The timber crews definetly did a number on the course but I don't think that their work should be frowned upon.

In the process of cutting they have crated several alternative fairways. Some of these "fairways" are next to the current holes and others are not. In any case they are begging to be incorporated.

I for one am looking forward to the cleanup effort (did I fail to mention that the course is difficult to walk on, and has lots of debris?), and repositioning of some of the holes.

Ba-kaw!
Johnson! Keep an eye on that Kherplakistan situation...
dandaman
Star Plastic

Postby luke » Sun May 22, 2011 7:46 am

The possibilities are overwhelming...

as is the amount of work that needs to be done.

I worry about it because I can't handle it by myself any more, and people just don't come out to help me--save for the same 2-3 that always have. Still, in order for it to happen, even those awesome folks would have to step it up.

And we really need some teepads.

Do you have any fundraiser ideas, Dan?

you're a turd for not calling me!
luke
Star Plastic

Return to The Monty