Latest course update??

Jackson County - Maysville, Ga

Moderator: ADGO BOD

Latest course update??

Postby MrFixIt » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:27 am

Thinking @ playing this course in the next couple of weeks, hadn't been there but once early this summer.

Is the course still open?
How are the fairways(mown, etc)?

Thanks for any info...
MrFixIt
DX Plastic

Re: Latest course update??

Postby richardhead » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:52 am

You tell us Chuck. You'd rather the course go to crap. There are people willing to maintain that place, but your pride is holding us up.
Jay Phillips
<EAT MY SKAT>
richardhead
Star Plastic

Postby MrFixIt » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:29 pm

Count me in on maintenance help, w/ advanced notice of course.
All except for the holes in the hayfield, I did not care for those.
MrFixIt
DX Plastic

Postby richardhead » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:44 pm

Funny, the only places you are posting is under Hurricane Shule and Victor Shule course threads. Nice try Chuck.
Jay Phillips
<EAT MY SKAT>
richardhead
Star Plastic

Postby Big Red » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:13 pm

Yeah, I think a blind man could have seen this one.
I've got more game than a busted Atari.
Big Red
Champion Plastic

Postby MrFixIt » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:35 pm

Sorry for any confusion...
Jay, you and I have met at the Mayday Madness tournies. I am the co-director, along w/ HT.
Big Red, I have never met you, that I know of. I would be happy to meet you, shake your hand, and play a round of DG.
I realize that Chuck has posted under different psuedonyms, however, that is none of my concern.

That being said, the question remains...is the course still open/playable.
Thanks again in advance for any info.
MrFixIt
DX Plastic

Postby craig » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:36 pm

Hey di ck head. That's not chuck. He's a friend who's just asking about a course we haven't played in a while. Seems like you could just post a non smart ass reply for a change. Oh well the screen name fits.
craig
Barney

Postby richardhead » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:50 am

Craig, please stay out of grown folks business.
Jay Phillips
<EAT MY SKAT>
richardhead
Star Plastic

Postby Funky Bobby J » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:00 am

He will as soon as they post...
Living in the United States where the hottest European import is Plutocracy...
Funky Bobby J
Star Plastic

Postby MrFixIt » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:29 am

Anyone...?
Bueller...Bueller...?

I hear crickets... :?
MrFixIt
DX Plastic

Postby mrpbody33 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:09 am

MrFixIt is not Chuck. Settle down people.
Barry "Mr. P'body" Arnson
PDGA# 28128
ADGO# 133
http://discgolfatlanta.com/
mrpbody33

Postby richardhead » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:05 am

We figured that out 5 posts up. Thanks for playing.
Jay Phillips
<EAT MY SKAT>
richardhead
Star Plastic

Postby grease » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:47 pm

So after all of that, is anyone gonna answer non-Chuck's question? I don't know the status
of the course currently.
Fart, it's never not funny!
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby djester » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:53 pm

the course is still open.... the woods don't have any grass to mow, so you don't have to worry much about that. Just skip the field holes, and have as much fun as possible in the woods
My posse's on Broadway!
djester
Post Bagger!!

Postby MrFixIt » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:39 pm

mrpbody, Thank you for the clarification.

djester, Thank you for the information.
MrFixIt
DX Plastic

Postby richardhead » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:32 pm

The course is up and playable. I would rather drive an hour and a half to Moseley before I would drive 3 miles to Hurricane Shule. That means a lot considering my opinion of Moseley. This is the closest course to my home and not worth the trouble, if you ask me.
Jay Phillips
<EAT MY SKAT>
richardhead
Star Plastic

Postby MrFixIt » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:25 pm

Jay,
Thanks for the info.
I would like to talk to you in person @ the course.
I enjoyed playing the woods holes, and agree that some work could be done to expand it or what not.
Not exactly sure what your involvement (if any) is, as far as course maintenance, etc.
I'm sure you have HT's #/email, he can give you my personal contact info.
MrFixIt
DX Plastic

Postby richardhead » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:10 pm

I've tried to take the project over. I took a proposal to Parks and Rec. Chuck must have bad mouthed me prior to my meeting, so it wasn't very fruitful. I had a redesign drawn up that would have eliminated 9 holes making it a Par 58, 18 hole course. I planned on utilizing the woods in a more productive manner by having holes play in and out as opposed to having 2 separate courses. That's how I picture the course now. The front 9 are worthless and not fun to play. A couple of the "tweener" holes in the woods would be combined as well, making them into longer, more challenging Par 3's. There are several holes in the woods that are really fun and don't need to be changed.

I offered my help to Chuck when the course was in the planning stage. He likes to do all the work himself and then claim that nobody wants to help him. There are endless possibilities out there, if the right people were to get involved. Unfortunately, the Parks people have had an ass load of Chuck and any other disc golfer for that matter. Guilty by association I guess.

If you or anybody else is interested in approaching the parks department, I have some great ideas for the course. It will be a little more challenging, but not so much that it would not be enjoyed by player's of varying skill levels. It will also utilize the land in a more balanced way, in my opinion. The front nine is redundant and needs to be changed. There's power in numbers so any interested parties that would like to get together and approach Parks and Rec., let's do it.
Jay Phillips
<EAT MY SKAT>
richardhead
Star Plastic

Postby BAM » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:19 pm

Hello MrFixIt, I am Chuck Smith and I played The Hurricane this past Sunday for the first time since may, I was Suprized to see that the course was very playable. The fairways in the woods are littered with tree limbs of all sizes, some need to be cut with a chain saw, but for the most part a good work day would help out tremendously, please let me know if you would like to set one up. I will be happy to assist.

As far as changes to the course they will just have to wait. Economy, need I say more.
also the open filed will be completely mowed soon.
BAM
DX Plastic

Postby MrFixIt » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:52 am

Thanks Jay.
I hate to see ANY DG course go to waste because local involvement, in my opinion, is a "must". Not only to help maintain the course, but to implement additions and upgrades.
I live @ 1 1/2 hrs away from the course, so it is not like I play there (or will) on a regular basis.
I would be happy to assist in any way that I can.

Chuck,
As far as setting up a work day, I would rather leave that to the local club, if there is one (?).
Given advance notice, I would show up and lend a hand. I have loppers, a hand pruning saw, and don't mind picking up trash, limbs, etc.

Thank you all for your insights and information.
MrFixIt
DX Plastic

Postby Corndawg13 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:37 am

I'm going up there today to play ALL 27 holes and check out the CANE! I'll prolly be there around 10-10:30 if anyone else wants to join. Black G5. Any locals that want to come out and help me around are welcome. 678-697-6532 my name is Bobby. No non-sense comments needed, I'm going and I'll form my own opinions. You guys are lucky to have so many courses up there that seem to be very different IMO! Yargo is tough, Victor WAS fun, still want to play Sandy Creek, Grove seems like a good little course. Quit complaining so much to those that are. If you want to change things, host tournaments and THEN confront the P & R with proposals and with disc golf raised money in HAND. Just my thoughts, I'm trying to get Dawson County to put a course in so I know it is tough.
Bobby Corn
Cell - 678.697.6532
PDGA #43596

Forsyth County Disc Golf Organization President
http://www.facebook.com/FCDGO
COME TO CP DUBS SUNDAYS AT 2!!!

If I don't respond to a post in due time, please message me on Facebook or call/text me, thanks!
Corndawg13
Champion Plastic

Postby Corndawg13 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:07 pm

Well, Kudos to Chuck in what seems like a LOT OF WORK that he and whomever else have done getting that course in there, but I agree with whoever said that an 18 hole course would probably be beter there. Why is the DG course squeezed in to so little land?? A lot of potential but needs a few good days of chainsaw action. Lost a Roadrunner in the river on 23, DAMN'IT!
Bobby Corn
Cell - 678.697.6532
PDGA #43596

If I don't respond to a post in due time, please message me on Facebook or call/text me, thanks!
Corndawg13
Champion Plastic

Postby BAM » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:32 pm

Well, Kudos to Chuck in what seems like a LOT OF WORK that he and whomever else have done getting that course in there, but I agree with whoever said that an 18 hole course would probably be beter there. Why is the DG course squeezed in to so little land?? A lot of potential but needs a few good days of chainsaw action. Lost a Roadrunner in the river on 23, DAMN'IT!

18 hole course would probably be beter there. Answer there is an 18 hole layout that can be played anytime using all the land.we played the big 18 hole layout at the made in the shade tourny back in the spring.

Why is the DG course squeezed in to so little land?? The open 9 is were it all started, back in 04 there were no other courses in the area, central and lenora were the closest two. no one at the park had ever heard of Disc Golf, so I suggested a rec friendly course to introduce DG to the community. the first ever action at Hurricane Shoals was in September of 04 at an event at the park called art in the park, Disc golf seemed to be a big hit, Guess I was wrong. but it did lead to the park director asking me if I could add 18 holes to the woods, so why not.. I like it the way it is, I don't have to worry about throwing my arm out at the Hurricane, the main focus is accuracy rather than distance which makes for a level playing filed in most cases.

A lot of potential but needs a few good days of chainsaw action I agree, they are a lot of unfinished projects at the park, like park benches, tee-pads, pavilion, and metal tee sign, and no time table has been set to complete them, Jackson County is struggling with our poor economy, they have had many cut backs and the parks and rec department has been the hardest hit. I have ask them and I have asked a lot of y'all to please help out, but nothing has changed.
maybe some of you can help make a change.
BAM
DX Plastic

Postby BAM » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:11 am

The course got a pretty good clean up from me yesterday, It is very playable and has some new markers in the woods to help guide as you play.

If any one is interested this coming Sunday, some locals are looking to play some $5 blind draw duds.
Start time at 11 am
BAM
DX Plastic

Postby kade.erp » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:19 pm

BAM wrote:Sunday, some locals are looking to play some $5 blind draw duds.
Start time at 11 am

How fun is it throw away $5 on some duds? Everyone knows fireworks are illegal in ga. :lol: And new years isn't till end of the month anyway. :roll:
kade.erp
Pro Plastic

Postby Corndawg13 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:11 am

playabe as in actually has lines to throw through in the woods and the grass cut in the open 9?
Bobby Corn
Cell - 678.697.6532
PDGA #43596

Corndawg13
Champion Plastic

Return to Hurricane Shoals Park