Newbie looking for guidance

Delkab County - Lithonia, Ga

Moderator: ADGO BOD

Newbie looking for guidance

Postby Rich Meade » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:55 am

Hello everyone!
I've been toying with the idea of getting into disc golf for a while...
Recently an old college pal of mine in Kentucky caught wind of my curiosity of the sport and sent me a bunch of discs.

However, I dont haves any buddies into the sport locally...

I live in Tucker, and Redan is the closest course (why I'm posting this here). I'm wondering if anyone would be able to give me a little guidance as far as getting started playing, and perhaps there are a few of you who wouldn't mind a straight up noob tagging along on a few rounds?

I'm planning to visit the course tomorrow (Friday) just to try these discs out...is it kosher to "walk on" as a single and just hack my way around the course? Also any thing I should be aware of as far as fees or parking?

Thanks in advance everyone!
PDGA#: 48326
Rich Meade
DX Plastic

Re: Newbie looking for guidance

Postby jritger » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:24 am

I'm planning to visit the course tomorrow (Friday) just to try these discs out...is it kosher to "walk on" as a single and just hack my way around the course? Also any thing I should be aware of as far as fees or parking?

Completely kosher. No fees @ any of the area courses except Flyboy .... think free golf with no tee times, less crowded courses and no dress code. Parking @ Redan is fine just don't leave a laptop out on your seat. If you want to meet some folks, check out the organized doubles weeklies @ Redan or Alexander Park as they are the most oriented towards beginners.
jritger

Postby heartman » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:10 pm

Best advice I can give a beginner is to start with midranges (Buzzz, Roc, Comet, ...) and fairway drivers (Leopard, Eagle, Teebird, ...). They'll be easier for you to control and you'll learn better form than starting with an extremely overstable high speed distance driver. Putters come down to personal preference. Aviar P&A is very popular and a common putter people start with.

... and always important: HAVE FUN! :D
McCurry Action - Sundays @ 10am

Athens Disc Golf on Facebook: Group and Page

Fayette County Disc Golf Club on Facebook and Disc Golf Scene
heartman
DX Plastic

Postby Rich Meade » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:25 pm

Thanks!
I went out this morning and had a blast...

I have 5 discs, Aviar, Hydro, stingray, archangel, and wahoo. I've been looking them up on the internet trying to figure out how they are "supposed" to fly.

so far... everything except the aviar flies to the left (I'm right handed doing a backhand)... That's a "hyzer" right?
I tended to have better success with throwing forehand today,took less effort to throw farther, and I felt like I had a bit more control (everythng tended to go straight and fade to the right).

I'm assuming all this is normal... I was in the brush a lot, but obviously in popular spots (always a path to be found to errant throws).

but had a great time, and will go back tomorrow (I assume it will be busier and maybe I can hop in with a group and see how some others play)

Thanks for the advice!
PDGA#: 48326
Rich Meade
DX Plastic

Postby VERMIN » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:37 pm

Redan is a great place to play but please use street smarts when parking in the lot. Don't leave any valuables in plain site or you can expect a possible break in.
I have played there for years and never had a problem by using that advice.

Sunday morning dubs is a fun time and open to all. Action starts at 10am and try to be at the picnic table by #3 teepad about 10-15 minutes before 10am to get checked in.
Speakin' the vernacular of the peasantry. Poor little kid, I hope she gets home all right....Professor Marvel

Vern Williams - ADGO #120 - PDGA #27359
VERMIN
Star Plastic

Return to Redan Park